Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a Bank.

Default Need a Bank.

Currently we do all are banking "on line" ie, bill payments etc and use link cash machines and our bank credit and debit cards. As our account is just in the black each month we pay no bank charges or service costs what soever, we also get paid interest on the money in the account each month.
    I have looked around some web sites for banks in New Zealand but can not find any account similar (no charge if in credit) by any bank in NZ.
    Can anybody advise of such a bank please?.

Thanks very much

Paul - I think you've been tainted by the UK banking experience!

There's no real movement towards 'free' banking in NZ. We have a good relationship with ASB, but they still charge for current accounts.

I think you just have to grin and bear it.

Nick

Me again

Dave opened his account with National Bank of New Zealand, who used to be owned by Lloyds Bank - they have the same sign of the black horse, but he didn't open it until he arrived. He used his cards in the ATM's on our UK bank account until he had opened his account and got paid.

They have been brilliant re lending him the money for the house and he's only been there 3 months. They have been happy to bridge us until we complete on the house here and they haven't even asked for any proof of the mortgage on the house and what equity we have in it.

Paul

We are with ASB they have been great, the banking system here is different to UK, but you soon get used to it.

Our account charges you one small monthly fee and then they don't charge you for any of the "normal" things like cheques etc

Hope this helps

All the NZ banks offer very similar services. One that is a little different an offer top interest rates no matter what your balance is superbank! Other banks to try include BNZ, ANZ, Westpac, National Bank, Kiwi bank and ASB.

Karl

Default Finding the bank

Thank you for the responses
    Paul

I found a fab one with Kiwibank - very modern, with balance sweeping and pays interest on your current account at the same rate as your savings. No charges if balance is over $4K

http://www.kiwibank.co.nz/products/front_runner.stm

Superbank currently offering 6.35% on ANY amount! Got to be the best deal in town! No term instant access via internet linked to any NZ bank account!

That's a great deal - would get an extra income from putting our money in there!!

BUT - we don't seem to be of interest to banks until we have a utility bill or something to prove a residential address... anyone else have this? I assume once we find a rental for 6+ mths they will be happier....

I hope we won't need an IRD no. or anything....

Moorf, if it's not a rude / personal question ops: what have you done money wise so far? ie have you left everything in a UK high interest account or have you transferred anything? Just interested in what those who have just arrived have actually done as we have so many decisions to make!! :eek

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast