Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning to drive NZ

Default Learning to drive NZ

As the missus is a stubborn goat, she is refusing to take lessons in London. Its not like they take you round Picadilly on your first lesson. Besides we live near Greenwich, its not exactly the worst place to start.

She says she is going to wait till we're there to learn -
    Does anyone know the requirements?
    I said to her that surely she'd need to be a permanent resident - and it may be that were there a few months before PR status.

So muggins will have to drive her everywhere.
    :

Hiya,

I was exactly in the same position as your wife; when I lived in London I couldn't see the point in taking driving lessons. Where I work here in Wellington is out of town, meaning I had to get two busses, which was a pain. Good motivation for taking driving lessons! I have just recently gained my restricted licence, got a car and now drive to work.

Check out the following site for all the info:

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/licensing/index.html

I was on a work permit when I first started to learn, and it's no problem. Just take the necessary ID to the LTSA agent.

NZ has what they call a graduated driver training system. First you have to sit a multi choice theory test. If you pass that, you get a learner's licence, which allows you to learn to drive on the road with a supervisor, someone who has held a full licence for two years.

After six months, you can sit your first practical driving test. If you pass that, you earn your restricted licence - this allows you to drive on your own, but not between the hours of 10pm and 5am, and you're not allowed to carry passengers. (Family members do not count as passengers.)

Depending on your age, and whether or not you've taken a defensive driving course, between three and 18 months later you can sit your final practical test. If you pass that you get your full licence and can drive at any time and take passengers.

Hope this helps. As I've been through it, feel free to PM me with any more questions.

Good luck

Evelynne

All that training and the country STILL has one of the worst RTA records in the world. :

Some but not all of the accidents are because you can get your licence at 15. Someone described the style of driving over here as 'country town' even when its in the city. (now don't take it personally PB)

Some but not all of the accidents are because you can get your licence at 15. Someone described the style of driving over here as 'country town' even when its in the city. (now don't take it personally PB)

Are your other halves over 30?/40? I learned to drive as a teenager, never took my test and then lived in cities where I didn't need to drive. So now I too have to start all over again. I'm 43 and the very thought of it scares me sh**less ops: BUT, I know I have to do it. The roads might be bad now but can you just imagine when we all get there? :? Hope it's not all at the same time

Weekend road toll low

Four people died on roads during Labour Weekend; LTSA says encouraging due to poor weather

26 October 2004

The holiday road toll was one of the lowest for Labour Weekend for some time.

Four people died in three crashes.

The LTSA says that is encouraging, given the weather that plagued much of the country.

Spokesman Andy Knackstedt says despite the low toll there is no room for complacency.

He says there were still some tragic happenings including two people killed in one crash.

Mr Knacksted says generally motorists appear to have done the right thing in the conditions.

The road toll so far this year is 344 compared to 381 at the same time last year.

© 2004 NZCity, IRN

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo
    Weekend road toll low

Four people died on roads during Labour Weekend; LTSA says encouraging due to poor weather

26 October 2004

The holiday road toll was one of the lowest for Labour Weekend for some time.

Four people died in three crashes.

The LTSA says that is encouraging, given the weather that plagued much of the country.

Spokesman Andy Knackstedt says despite the low toll there is no room for complacency.

He says there were still some tragic happenings including two people killed in one crash.

Mr Knacksted says generally motorists appear to have done the right thing in the conditions.

The road toll so far this year is 344 compared to 381 at the same time last year.

© 2004 NZCity, IRN
    To put that into perspective......More than 3,500 people were killed on UK roads last year.

I would say it`s much easier driving in NZ as there is a lot less traffic even in the cities(not Auckland).

95% of the cars over here are automatics, so that makes it a lot easier for someone who wants to learn to drive.

In general, I think most Kiwi`s are good drivers but they do like to travel long distances to enjoy themselves, I`m sure that driver fatigue has a lot to do with the accident toll over here.

Bobby.

Bobby

Bobby. I`am not very good with figures, but as % I think NZ has a much higher accident rate than us.
    The reason for posting the news extract was because of the wording used more than anything.
    "encouraging" ??? that ONLY 4 people died.

hi guys

i don't know how to drive yet even here at home, and even if hubby says i can learn quickly with just practice, i think i'll wait till we get to NZ to learn. i mean, here in the phils we drive on the right side, with our steering mechanisms on the left side of the car. in nz it's the other way around, so i might get confused if i learn here and learn there... you know, brain waves get crisscrossed...

another day... another journey...

annie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast