Thread: Vacuum Packaging, is it any good?

Smile Vacuum Packaging, is it any good?

Hi

We're moving out of our home in about 5 weeks time and I really have to start packing. Nearly all our 'stuff' will be going into a storage container and we possibly won't see it again for a year. We'll be renting until we sort out the rest of our lives !

I've seen these large bags that are meant to take your duvet/pillows/bedding etc. and then you vacuum out the air. Has anyone used them ? Are they any good ? Also... would it be a good idea to put 'silica gel' sachets in the bags ?

I'm really learning a lot by reading the posts on this forum, a BIG thank you to you all.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Phil & Ali Smith
    Hi

We're moving out of our home in about 5 weeks time and I really have to start packing. Nearly all our 'stuff' will be going into a storage container and we possibly won't see it again for a year. We'll be renting until we sort out the rest of our lives !

I've seen these large bags that are meant to take your duvet/pillows/bedding etc. and then you vacuum out the air. Has anyone used them ? Are they any good ? Also... would it be a good idea to put 'silica gel' sachets in the bags ?

I'm really learning a lot by reading the posts on this forum, a BIG thank you to you all.
    I bought some cheap ones from our local discount store, 2 bags for £4 and they had a screw seal that you closed after sucking out the air...JML ones I think.

Any way we used them to squeeze our clothes into 2 suitcases, as we were moving around a bit once we got to NZ, I have to say I found them brill

I even managed to open them and then squeeze enough air manually to shut the cases when we had arrived in NZ and were moving from place to place.

I have also used them in the cases that the kids are bringing in sept, as the big cases can take a lot of stuff that way, and they have 40kg each so the weight is no probs...the bigest weighed in at 32kg when I had finished. thats a lot of clothes!

I also used one to pack duvets intot the shipping packs but I will find out how they fared when my stuff arrives...its just landed in Auckland (I was expecting it in Christchurch, but apparently its going by road to there.

so YES I give them the thumbs up , and I am using them for storage too.

hope that helps

Kat

Warned by the shipper a few weeks ago to leave anything out of them when shipping. It causes problems when going thru the tropics apparently - sorry Kat, this was after you went, not saying that anything will happen but that is what the shipper told us anyway. They use the breathable material to wrap all goods.

Steve

I actually used ones from Argos in my house for duvets etc and they worked brilliantly. The only issue I have is that for longer periods of packing, for example, if you were going to sent clothes/bed clothes by crate, then you maY get mould. An article I read mentioned not to wrap clothes in plastic as the condensation may spoil the items as they go through the tropics. Also you may find some clothes get irreversibly creased on a long journey.

An excellent idea however for the plane journey. I will file it for my trip there in a few weeks!