Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dentists

Default Dentists

Hi All

My partner is a dentist and we were wondering if there was any dentists out there who has already emigrated or is in the process of emigrating to NZ from the UK.

How have you found the experience working in NZ in comparison with the UK. Did you have to sit the exams to get registered or do they accept UK registered dentists without the exams.

Cheers

Can't answer that but but can say that dentist here are very expensive so it should be good for you, have never seen so many adults with broken teeth etc, that they cant afford to get fixed.

Hi there I was wondering if Nicola is still using this site and if so has she got any info for dentists coming over - OH is one and looking for info on what to do and where to start looking for work and how high is the demand for dentists. Thanx so much
    Zelda

I am a UK qualified dentist going through the process of registration and immigration at the moment. Planning to arrive in NZ this year.

If you or your partner want to pm me I will try to help if I can.

Regards

Helen

Hi ther Helen thanx for responding. I spoke to other half and he said that it would be helpful if we could email each other. The only problem is I am new to this forum thing and do not know how to send PMs so if you could give me some instructions that would be great. Just having one a moment. Thanx for your help. regards Zelda

Default in the UK

I was a senior nurse/ practice manager & had loved being in dentistry - 12 years (mixed NHS/pvt multi dentist practice's ) - I lasted 6/12 in NZ . So disillusioned I've had a total career change .

I have to say I found the attitude of dentists here , to their employees frankly disgusting & the standard of dentistry seems equally appallingly bad . No real quals needed as assistants & no desire to have staff trained (the lazy dogs would then want more $$$),no post certification qualifications, lax attitudes , pinned GI restorations left right & center , lots of very old fashioned practice .Perhaps I've just been unlucky - but i was offered many positions & took the one that appeared to be most progressive .

Won't say more on a public forum - but I'm happy for anyone to PM me & I'll tell them my frank opinions.

vic

Plymgirl, I have pm'd you.

Helen

Hiya, I'm a dental hygienist hopefully going over this year with the family and got my job offers etc etc. Theres a great guy in Red Beach who is a kiwi and quite frank on info of other practitioners which was fantastic helping me decide on which practice to go for. If you want to pm me I could pass on his email to you and see what you can gleen from him. Good luck and happy new year, lorna

Hello. Long-time lurker decloaking! My dad's a dentist who moved to NZ 9 years ago from Wales. He loves it. I know when he first moved he found settling in Auckland (Albany) difficult due to the pace of work and what he saw as a lack of preventative dentistry. He's now got a practice in Tauranga and is very happy there. He gets to spend time with his patients and he's said he's now using techniques and materials ahead of the UK.

His old nurse from Wales made the move years ago and by coincidence they're working together again (that was a blast from the past on my last visit)!

So it's not all bad...

Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Plymgirl View Post
    Hi there I was wondering if Nicola is still using this site and if so has she got any info for dentists coming over - OH is one and looking for info on what to do and where to start looking for work and how high is the demand for dentists. Thanx so much
    Zelda
    Hi, Peter here - Nicola's other half.

Been here two and a half years and have settled in well. Still in the same practice.

I found my post via the NZDA website, here -

http://www.nzda.org.nz/pub/index.php?id=37

contact was via email and phone and my job was all sorted before we left.

DCNZ were also very helpfull and lots of information on their site as well.

The demand for dentists varies depending on area of course but even here in Hawkes Bay where there are already lots there is still a demand for new ones.

When I arrived I went on a weeks course at Otago dental school. This is primarily for those dentists from abroad to prepare them for the exams but I went along just to see how things were here and I found it all pretty similar to the Uk. CPD is also compulsory here, just as the uk although you will probably have to travel to get to courses unless based in Auckland Wellington or Chch.

Dentistry is pretty well all private here of course - I see maybe 12 to 15 patients a day now as opposed to 30 to 40 back in the national health.

And yes, compared to the wages here dentistry is expensive for the average person.

You'll know all about the application process by now, I suppose but if you have any questions just ask.

peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast