Thread: Paternity leave

Default Paternity leave

Have any of you tried to get paternity leave here?

OH will have only been in his job for 6 months, so I think probably isn't entitled to anything. But I will be in the hospital for a few days, and with 2 toddlers and no family support, we'll need to sort something out.

What did others do in this sitution? How did your employers react?

Any advice/ideas greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tia

Hubby took one weeks unpaid holidays, he had been in the job just a few weeks at the time, but he had the advantage of being able to go back to work while I was in hospital, as there was no other kids to look after, and the dog was in kennels....,

The legal entitlement can be found here:

http://www.ers.govt.nz/parentalleave/

Good Luck!

Thanks jub jub, that's a really useful link.

How long did they keep you in the hospital for?

Cheers

Tia

Your are having a section aren't you? They kept me for 5 nights, "normal" delivery is three nights

Wow, on my 3rd C section I was told I was out after 3 days It seems the aftercare is much better here. My last midwife was useless at helping me breast feed and told me it would be better for my son to go on the bottle That would explain why 99% of new mums in hospital in the UK put their babies onto bottles.

I've had a couple of friends give birth here and the care seems to be a lot better. One of my other friends is nearly 20 weeks and off to have a second scan soon at a different hospital to her 1st. It seems you can choose a little easier where you go.

Tia, I had a friend back in the UK who got a social worker into help her out, in the last 6 weeks of pregnancy she was very ill and unable to walk. She only had her husband around to help her out and the hospital got someone in to do the chores and help her around. Don't know if there's anything like that available here but it would be worth asking if you explain your situation if you're going to have a c section. If it's a normal delivery then you probably won't be able to get any help. As jubjub says your husband may have to take a week off unpaid.

I know what you mean about getting out quickly in the UK. I beat you in that I was out after 48hrs, but that was totally voluntary, as the after care was non existent, and I even saw a dead cockroach by the scan room, which was still there the next day!

Not sure what I would do with myself for 5 days, but if it is a nice environment it would be nice to have some quality time with the baby.

I wonder if they have internet access?

Wouldn't mind OH taking unpaid leave, but so far all that has been offered is using up holiday, which we wanted to keep for the relatives who should be visiting at some point after the birth.

Cheers

Tia

How about this Tia

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/423466/708950

SB, they wont help you put a baby on a bottle here at all, if you chose not to B/f then you have to do all the feeding/bottle prep and research it yourself.

JubJub, my kids would love that place, I know that the article is quite 'down' on the idea, but we did a bit of travelling before we stopped in Auckland, and they got a bit too use to the hotel lifestyle.

So long as it had a mini bar, (for the chocolate, not the alcohol, I might add), and an all-you-can-eat buffet breakfast, they'd be more than happy!

We seem to have resolved the Paternity leave issue. He's been offered unpaid sick leave. Apparently it counts as sick leave, as I will be in the hospital, and he will be caring for dependents at home.

Its obviously not as good as getting something paid, but at least its sorted and doesn't eat into that much needed holiday time - which we'd set aside for when the relatives come to visit.

Cheers

Tia