Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sandfly repellant?

Default Sandfly repellant?

I've been searching the threads for info on how to deal with sandflies (will have nightmares for a week from some of the pics on here!), but can't find anything specific (apart from maybe Avon Skin So Soft - and Avon don't seem to have any of the Woodland fragrance left anywhere!). Can anyone recommend something for protection against sandflies, particularly for children? We will be camping (MHome) in March on South Island, so it looks like we'll be asking for trouble. Is it best to buy something in NZ or is there something we can bring from UK (if it's allowed through customs!) that will do the trick?

I'd buy in NZ - the pharmacy will be able to advise you on what is best - I use Scratchy & Itchy (a natural product) for sand-fly bites - you get immune to them after a while - didn't get any this year but last year we were bitten to pieces! I don't like repellants so would rather treat a bite, but with kids you'd probably be better off using a repellant since they can be pretty nasty. I seem to remember a product called RID that I used some time ago but I don't know if that was only available in Australia.

Hi We live in Cyprus and the sand flys are in abundance. the annoying thing is you can not see them, until they have bitten you.

Different things work for different different people. I have heard B6 supplement can help against mozzies too.

I was back in the UK and bought loads of Boots own Roll On insect repellent (yellow bottle like deoderant size). Easy to use and no fumes. So I'd say that better for little ones. I roll it all up and down arms legs and neck and even the soles of my feet. You have to put it on before the suns starts going down, and even early morning, if you are an early rises. Followed by antisan if you get bitten have tubes in yor bag, car everywhere soon stops the itch.

Inside houses the only thing we found to work is those spiral VAPE green things you burn.

Plus they will only bite you when they can not travel any further up your clothes and get stuck so loose clothing helps.

We suffered really badly last summer. We live on a property that's on the foothills of the Southern Alps and has running water passing through it, so just going outside on a summers evening is a bit of an extreme sport. Then someone in work gave us some NZ army surplus stuff. No brand name, just a plain dark green container. He gave me two types, one a roll on stick and a sray that was also a sun block. I hate to think what is in them but they really do work.

I think I'll take all your tips and try them out! Not sure about the army surplus stuff, though - best not to experiment too much with that on the kids!! Someone told me Marmite works because it contains vitamin B - that ties in with Angelonthemove's suggestion, and at least the boys do eat Marmite. Presumably, from what you've said, we'll only have a problem evenings and early mornings, so if we stay inside when it's dark we'll be ok provided we use mozzie nets? I'm guessing the overnight boat trip through Milford Sound could be asking for trouble!

Hi,

I think the Woodland has been rebranded as Skin-So-Soft Soft & Fresh - found details of it on http://avonshop.co.uk.

What is it from the avon range that you is a 'good repellant' is it the dry oil spray or moisturiser ?????

Ah, Debbie - thank you. I'm going to buy loads! Marcia - I've read the dry oil spray is the best, but also that 'layering' is probably the most effective - so you shower with it and then put dry oil spray on afterwards.
    I know tea-tree oil is said to be good for keeping fleas away - we bath the dog in it! So maybe that might work on sandflies/mozzies as well.

has anyone ever had a sandfly bite go sore, as in deep hole that doesnt bleed? itches like I cant describe

getting a bit worried about one on my ankle - plus its drivin me mad!

kat

Vitamin B works by emitting a chemical smell that deters both sandflies and mosquitoes. You'd need to eat lots of marmite to have an effect, or you could try adding a spoonful of brewers yeast to your diet. It's pretty cheap to buy a huge tub of it, and doesn't really taste of much.
    Thankfully I'm one of those people who never really seem to get bitten - maybe I just smell all the time?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast