Thread: Currency in Singapore Airport

Default Currency in Singapore Airport

This may seem another studid question, but for those of you who have flown there before, can you tell me what currency is best to take for the airport in Singapore?

We will be staying at one of the transit hotels for a fewhours, trying to get food somewhere, and may even manage a bit of shopping, assuming they have shops inside the airport itself alongside the transit hotels .

We're hoping they would take £, or NZ$, presumably a credit card's OK, but will we need Singapore $'s to pay for the hotel etc?

Many thanks,

Emily

PS - just over two weeks now till we fly, and beginning to run out of time in a major way ........

Hi there i used singapore dollars nz dollars and uk pounds plus my credit card and they even asked which currency i would like to pay with on my credit card ,very helpful staff and very very good prices. Cheers Cardy

No - credit card is fine, especally if you are not goin into the city.

Not only that - but you do have the option of having them work out the cost of an item in £ and charging direct in £ onto a uk credit card (they do skim a bit so its probably worth saying "no" in as many languages as you can muster). Not all the stores do that - but you may get asked the question.

Certainly we never had any cash on the last two trips through.

If you are going into the city at all - you will need some Singapore $, but you could always get that at changi airport anyway if you make a last minute change of plan.

The hotel is good, and like everything else - takes a flexible friend! (Oh and if you get your wake up call and are still shattered - you can juat ask them to extend your stay for an hour or so if you need to. You pay up front for the first slot of time you book, then any extra you pay in your way out. And the beds are REAL comfy!

Singapore is a major financial centre, you can convert any currency 24 hrs in the city. Most businesses (including local taxis) can take cards - though taxis do charge a bit more for that. If you are only going to be in the airport transit - it should be a breeze...

Thanks guys - just what I wanted to hear. We are only staying in the airport itself, just for about 7 hours till we board our onward flight.

I just didn't want to have to get Singapore $ just to pay for one or two things, as we don't plan to visit again for quite a while.....

Emily

Quote Originally Posted by Simon & Emily
    we don't plan to visit again for quite a while.....
    I thought the same when passing through on a recce trip to NZ in March. Our one-way flights in August were already booked prior for a straight through flight to NZ but having visited Singapore decided we must stop again - it really is a fantastic place and you'll find a few good threads on this forum.