Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: extra baggage allowance on Air NZ?

Question extra baggage allowance on Air NZ?

Hi everyone
    I was reading the thread about people getting their baggage allowance increased on Singapore Air (and other airlines) because they said they were migrants.

We're flying one way, US- NZ, on Air NZ. Has anyone ever been able to get their baggage allowance increased on Air NZ? Or even heard of anyone doing that?

(We're not shipping a container, so a few extra suitcase would really make a difference!)

You get two cases of 23kg per person anyhow coming from the states, so thats quite a lot, and they are strict on the two peices of luggage per person too, but I guess its worth asking them, then you can bring two bigger cases each!

dunno if anyone has bothered asking for an increase cos they do give such a good luggage allowance

Quote Originally Posted by jubjub
    You get two cases of 23kg per person anyhow coming from the states, so thats quite a lot,
    True...but you should see how many books & CDs hubby wants to bring!

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonkiwi
    True...but you should see how many books & CDs hubby wants to bring!
    Oh dear..... and you will need some clothes too.... I suppose you have looked into courier/unaccompanied baggage services?

I reckon ask 'em if they will let you have the old allowance of 2x32kg each.... they can only say no...

Are you flying out from Oregon on AirNZ, or using a US carrier for the connexion?

We booked our tickets through United (a Star Alliance partner, as is AirNZ), and we were able to bring extra luggage when we checked in at United, but we paid for it. Jeff checked 3 or 4 suitcases and I checked 4 suitcases and a large box; for the extra pieces and overweight we probably paid a total of $500USD. But they were checked through to Auckland, and AirNZ didn't give us any static about them.

(Another thought: consider using United Cargo to send your extra boxes/luggage.)

We're flying direct from San Francisco (staying in No. Cal. with family), and are planning to take one or two extra pieces as "excess baggage" and pay the charges. I've read a couple of things on the forum today that I need to call Air NZ about (I actually only came online to get the Air NZ phone number but somehow ended up in the forum again ) so I may as well ask them - the worst they can do is laugh at me, right?

Thanks for your advice, Jo&Jeff and Sal.
    Ok, so I called Air NZ, spoke to the very helpful Bev, we had a nice chat about my moving home. No go on the migrant allowance. Excess baggage costs $80 per bag with no limit on the number of excess bags. She suggested I call Air NZ cargo, which I'll do later.

If anyone else in the No Container Club is interested...
    I called Air NZ cargo and said that the Air NZ customer service person had suggested I call. The cargo guy said, "they keep doing that...". He said that under the post-9/11 TSA rules, no cargo carrier may take cargo from "unknown shippers". Meaning they can only accept cargo from companies, not individuals.

Then you'll just have to take your extra luggage to an intermediate company to do the air cargo shipment for you.

Craters and Freighters
    Shipping Center:
    San Francisco Bay Area
    S. San Francisco, CA 94080
    650-583-8555
    800-452-9151
    Fax: 650-583-8572
    BayArea@cratersandfreighters.com
    http://www.cratersandfreighters.com/consumer.php

Freight and Crate
    Physical Address:
    300 West Robles Ave., "L"
    Santa Rosa, CA 95407
    Toll Free Phone: 800-949-1268
    Toll Free Fax Phone: 800-949-1278
    Phone: 707-584-2750
    Fax: 707-584-2749
    customerservice@freightncrate.com
    http://www.freightncrate.com/aboutus.htm

I hadn't thought of that - thanks so much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast