Thread: child allowance

Default child allowance

Is there in NZ any child allowance similar to what is the case in Germany is? It is independent on the work or salary of parents, and on monthly basis about 159 Euro per child per month.

Hi, hopefully this page can answer all your questions I found the online calculators on the right side of the page invaluable.

eta: as far as I know there is nothing comparable to the UK child benefit, which is not means tested, unlike NZ family assistance.

HI, this is news to me. We don't have anything like this in the US unless you are very low income (welfare & foodstamps). We have 5 kids & that helps get us back alot on taxes - but I'm surprised to see we can make over $100k with 5 kids and get cash assistance! I don't feel like we'd need it, but out of curiosity, do you have to have PR to get those benefits. How about with WTR or talent visa?

but I'm surprised to see we can make over $100k with 5 kids and get cash assistance! I don't feel like we'd need it
    Well, I feel like we need it on $40K with two kids, so it seems reasonable to get at least some on $100K with 5

I'm not sure about the WTR or talent visa's...I've only seen reference to PR, but then that's becasue that's what I've looked for, sorry.

just5 - think of it like the child tax credit that we claim on our US tax returns (rather than welfare).
    Here's the info on residency requirements - it's not clear though whether "resident" means having PR.

To be eligible to receive family assistance you must be aged 16 or older and meet at least one of the following residence requirements:

* You are a New Zealand resident and have been in New Zealand continuously for at least 12 months at any time. You need to be both a tax resident and resident in New Zealand when you apply for your payments.
    * You are caring for a child who is both resident and present in New Zealand .

http://www.ird.govt.nz/familyassistance/intro/criteria/

Thank you all for your valuable comments