Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wellington Regions what are these like?

Default Wellington Regions what are these like?

Hi
    We have been looking at areas for renting. So the following keep coming up, so as not to waste time on definate NO NO areas has anyone got any views on the following please.

TAWA
    Brooklyn
    THORNDON
    ORIENTAL BAY

My job, when I have met and we have all agreed, will be at The Terrace so I would like somewhere that, if I HAD to, I could walk to or drive for 20mins max. Couple no children. Like also to be able to walk to good restaurants.

Cheers

Angela

Hi Angela

The only problem with driving to the Terrace could be parking, the lack and the cost of it! There are all day car parks but I think they are about $15+ daily and fill up quickly. Unless of course you are allocated a company space. Think hen's teeth there.

Oriental Bay is very nice but busy in the summer, you can trot to the Terrace round the harbour from there or get a bus. It is also mega expensive, anything with a seaview is likely to be $700+ weekly for a flat. There is a little beach and its easy staggering distance to New World supermarket, Tepapa and the bars and cafes on Courtney and Cuba. There is also the Freyberg pool and gym and the Parade Cafe which is great.

Brooklyn and Thorndon are similar areas, some narrow windy streets and parking in some can be a bit difficult with a permit needed for bits of Thorndon. Some lovely older houses there. Check these for some ideas on rental & house prices.www.trademe.conz & http://www.tommys.co.nz/?id=170 You'd be ok to walk from Thorndon to the Terrace, but Brooklyn is better on a bus.

http://www.wcl.govt.nz/wellington/brooklyn.html

I don't know that much about Tawa, have only been to visit friends there, so someone else may have a better idea. Long street with a variety of shops, cheaper housing than in town and about 20 mins on the train, + a walk from the station and a bit hilly. I can't remember if they suffer hill fog there though.

This one http://www.metlink.org.nz/section10.php? will give you an idea of public transport.

HTH.

Also Mount Victoria is a really nice place to live, just next to Oriental Bay and probably less than 20 minute walk to the Terrace. Thorndon would be the easiest less than 10 minute walk. Just watch the sun in Thorndon as it disappears down behind the hill so many houses don't have the evening sun, this is why Oriental Bay is so expensive it gets the evening sun.

Tawa is a suburb probably take you a bit longer than 20 mins to commute down. Not much there in the way of nice restaurants or shops, great if you're a family or a couple into a quiet way of life (don't want to offend any one here just my opinions ).

You're probably better looking at Brooklyn, Thorndon and Oriental Bay for what you're wanting.

Hi

Thanks for the replies and advise. I have recieved an email asking for references from our accountant etc for renting so best to be prepared if they do ask.

I think it will be easier to go take a look, as you do not get that sniff factor of damp and musty houses on the net Will live longer in hotelapartment if we have to, rather than rush things.

Its good to know 'I can't remember if they suffer hill fog there though' because I suffer from asthma here but did not in NZ when we came for 6 weeks. Maybe the altitude and weather changes might make a difference. Its mainly noise we can not stand, late night revellers, traffic noise etc and it it hoons? If you guys saw where we lived you would ask why we are moving. We are half way between mountains and sea with 1/4 mile to either so I will really miss the views. So I really thing that where we live for the first 6 months will make a difference to how we settle.

Cuba street is lovely for eating out especailly Logan Brown for a treat. Mind you we did not have a bad meal in the whole 6 weeks in NZ.

Back to packing

Angela

Oriental Bay/Mount Vic are good options IMO - oh and earlybird parking on The Terrace is currently $11 a day.

Matt

Tawa is great for us - as a family.
    Got a great High school and a number of good primaries.

But if you are a couple and wanting to rent I would say move into Wellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelonthemove
    Hi

Thanks for the replies and advise. I have recieved an email asking for references from our accountant etc for renting so best to be prepared if they do ask.
    Hi,

I was just wondering about the references for renting in NZ. What sort of references are they looking for? Previous land-lords? If so then do they need to be in NZ as I'd imagine for nearly everyone arriving will be rentnig in NZ for the first time?

Also what do they mean by references? A simple name and address of someone they can ask for references or are they expecting a full character reference letter?

Regarding places in Wellington, we had been looking at Johsonville. It's a little further out but it's on the train line so it's possible to get in and out of the centre quickly enough without the hassle of parking. Not sure what is in Johnsonville with regards to restaurants and stuff though.

Cheers
    Starkhorn

Quote Originally Posted by starkhorn
    Hi,

I was just wondering about the references for renting in NZ. What sort of references are they looking for? Previous land-lords? If so then do they need to be in NZ as I'd imagine for nearly everyone arriving will be rentnig in NZ for the first time?

Also what do they mean by references? A simple name and address of someone they can ask for references or are they expecting a full character reference letter?

Regarding places in Wellington, we had been looking at Johsonville. It's a little further out but it's on the train line so it's possible to get in and out of the centre quickly enough without the hassle of parking. Not sure what is in Johnsonville with regards to restaurants and stuff though.

Cheers
    Starkhorn
    We weren't asked for anything by our agency. We had brought with us, copies of our UK rental agreements etc but they were waved away.

I'm not fluent with J'ville, Sizzling badger might be of more help here. But there are a few rentals agencies, a packed high street with a big Woolworths supermarket etc. But it's hilly there. so you'll need strong thigh muscles.

Theres no problem with parking on the Terrace if necessary.
    It will cost you $12 per day, although you can buy long term parks cheaper than this.

Get there 8:30 to 9am for casual parks though!

Hi,

Re. the question about references - we didn't have any when we came over - (we'd never rented in the UK so had no references) we just showed them a letter of employment for DH including his salary & that was reference enough!! People take things on trust here so don't panic if you don't have references.

I'd definitely move to Mt Vic or Thorndon if I was moving to the city as a couple - nice walk into town - Thorndon you've got the botanic gardens close by (they have great concerts there all through Jan in the evenings all sorts of bands) - you just turn up with a picnick rug, a few bottles of wine & some nibbles & dance the night away. There's some really nice restaurants, cafe's (and of course the Speights Ale House!!) there & lovely old buildings - its got a lovely feel to it.

Mt Vic has great views & a nice feel to it - very handy to the city - only a short walk to Courtney Place & Oriental Bay. Lots of single friends & aquaintances living there very happily with super social lives.

Would only be moving to Oriental Bay if in the Millionaires Club (although did see a 2 bed apartment there for sale at $500K this week (maybe its due to the latest landslide there!! ;o)

Tawa as Carol says is more family oriented & is about 15 mins on train from city.

We have friends living in J'ville & they love it - its a short hop by car to the city 10 mins & about the same by train. Quite a lot cheaper than city locations, if you're close to the centre there's a lot of family stuff but is also good for young couples - couldn't compare it with Thorndon or the city for restaurants though. There's a couple of pubs that do pub food & one has big screens for the rugger, quite a few restaurants & takeaways, a good bakery & a few of the big name shops & supermarkets - not really nightlife capital - most people would go into the city for that. If you want the big nightlife to be in walking distance you'll need to live in the city. However, if you don't mind a short train ride home then J'ville is a good option.

Pretty much wherever you live in Welly you're going to have hills (unless you're on the sea-front or living & working right in the heart of the city!) so wherever you live you'll need to train your legs - promise - you won't notice the hills after about a year! I used to work in the botanic gardens (very hilly!) between an office up at the observatory & one down in the heart of the gardens (oh and walking down into the city for meetings!) - been good training because we live at the top of a steep hill now & I don't even notice it even pushing a heavy buggy!!

Brooklyn - you're going to have to cycle/car/bus it in from there to the city - nice place to live - again have friends living there (single) quite happily - good rental rates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast