Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice pls... Salary Vs Standard of living for Electrician

It's always really hard to answer these questions when people have such different ideas about what 'quality of life' means for them. The average salary here in NZ is only about $28,800 / year which would suggest that you could live on your $37,000 quite comfortably. However, when DH and I were trying to live on my salary of $45,000 when we first came here we were really struggling to maintain the lifestyle to which we had become accustomed in Scotland - though we were paying $250/week in rent. If we had been mortgage free we would be probably found it easier onthat salary. What problems are you having with the cost of living calculator - it does give a good indication of where your money will go, even if the actual $$$'s don't mean much till you're here and living on them!

Veronica… I think I love you!!
    Just for that, when I get there, I will give you a special rate (maybe $39 Hr) :P

Ruthyroo… I have seen different sites stating that the average NZ salary is around the $45k mark, and I have tried the cost of living calc, however, once again, I have seen so many differing views (including this forum) about actual ‘cost’ of living/surviving in NZ. I’m sure there have been folk on here who said they were struggling on $60/$70k (can’t find the thread now) so as you can understand I am a little bemused.
    I’m sure things will work out, and I know it’s just fear of the unknown kicking in.

Thanks to the both of you Ladies

XXX

Hi my son is working as an electrician in Auckland and is on an amazing nz$1200 a week!!!!
    Its only for a 5 month contract or until the site is finished ,but he say's he will have no problem picking up another job for around the same cash

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12