Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Earthquake Kit

Exclamation Earthquake Kit

After last weeks landslide and the obsessive, complusive planner that I am, I've prepared a quake kit using some of the lists from http://www.getthru.govt.nz/ & http://www.eq-iq.org.nz/ and our own personal wish list.

I’ve put it all in waterproof bags in a wheeled case to make it easier for me to move it if I'm home alone and told to move somewhere else by the authorities, (except for the items in bold which are stored next to it). Also kept nearby is waterproof flouresecent clothing, a huge tarpaulin and a shovel. The whole lot is stored in the garage, not attached to the house, which is accessible (even if the electricity is off to raise the door) If the garage is still standing, I can kick the door or a window in. I'll be done for if the house falls on the garage through.

We have agreed a plan. Which ever one of us is at home stays here and the other one will attempt to get here. OH is apparently going to teach me how to use the radio (he’s had his license 30 years so that should be a laugh then), so that we can speak to each other.

Earthquake Kit

1 portable gas BBQ in a case with peizzo ignition

4 x gas cylinders

Matches

1 x saucepan

1 x sharp knife

Can opener

Cups

Plastic disposable cutlery

Plastic disposable bowls

Full First aid kit with bandages, tape, painkillers, sterilised stuff.

Scissors

Latex gloves

Face masks

Heavy duty gloves

Biohazard bags for waste disposal

2 x torches

Spare batteries

Warm layers of old clothing, fleeces & change of underwear

Sleeping bag

Heavy duty boots for both of us

Thick socks

Photocopies of passports, birth certs, insurance and other important docs.

Print out of important names, address, phone numbers etc.

Some money

Toilet rolls

Radio

Towels (big bath ones that can be used for warmth too)

Tooth brushes and paste

Baby wipes

Toilet roll

Waterless sanitizer

Leather man tool

Water & Food. (soup, beans, etc stuff that doesn’t need hydrating, no sardines though)

Portable amateur radios (One at home or car, one with OH at work)

Generator

Axe

Hmm............................ seems a lot, doesn't it but I'm sure we won't be thinking that if the big one strikes. Can someone tell me if I've missed anything, please?

Please feel free to copy it, if it helps.

Additions

Comfort food (sweets, chocolate or whatever floats your boat)
    A book (or something to do else to do to pass time)
    A toy or games for the kids
    Pet food
    Hand pump water filter (camping one)
    Candles (I'm banned from having them after small incident hence the torches instead)

Last edited by Smiler; 24th July 2006 at 09:55 PM. Reason: addition to list

Wow - very well organized! Although ... you did forget the chocolate.
    But seriously, there was a lot of stuff in the media here about emergency disaster preparedness after Hurricane Katrina, and they did mention the need for "comfort" foods in times of crisis.

Wine and a book.

Seroiusly though - thast an excceding good list which has put my paltry attempt to utter shame Im hanging my head as we speak. And promise to do better.

Quote Originally Posted by Avalon
    Wine and a book.

Seroiusly though - thast an excceding good list which has put my paltry attempt to utter shame Im hanging my head as we speak. And promise to do better.
    I'll be expecting a walkthough of your eq kit next time I visit then.

Oregon, I'd considered chocolate too, but thought that it would melt sitting in a hot garage throughout the summer months (that and the fact I'm sure I would hear it calling me everyday ), although I think I'll get a bag of non-chocolatey pick and mix and shove that in. Yum yum. And southern comfort instead of wine, stronger painkiller at 40% proof.

Thanks guys. I'll go back and edit the post include the suggestions/additions from time to time........

Keeping meaning to get ours sorted and that's as far as I get. Even though I'm usually highly organised this is always on my list of 'To Do'. After the floods here recently and Featherston nearly getting cut off from Greytown on Friday I think it something I ought to put into action, especially as I've got three kids with me most of the time.

Thanks for the list Smiler it's going to be pinned on my noticeboard so I can start collecting items

I know what i am doing if there is an earthquake here, I am going to welly to stay with Smiler...

You would think we would be a bit more up on this with it not just being us two any more, but nope, we are lucky if there is a tin of beans in the cupboard when we want one, let alone one in an earthquake kit.

Best we have got even for power cuts is candles/woodburner and the gas bbq.

Maybe we should get our act together....

Good list! Something else to think about is a water filter or as a less expensive option is to have some bleach around which can be used in an emergency to treat water for drinking.

Well Smiler, I'll know where to go in an emergency!

Seriously, we do have some supplies but nowhere near as organised as you though! We are assuming that our house won't collapse because it's all concrete and steel so we'll be able to cook as normal on bottled gas, or stay outside and use the BBQ. We've got lots of food and a reasonable quantity of water, a torch that doesn't need batteries and hundreds of supermarket bags for (human) waste. TBH I haven't been too fussed because if anything happens I doubt we'll be able to get to the house if we're unlucky enough not to be in it, just like last week.

Quote Originally Posted by clg
    Good list! Something else to think about is a water filter or as a less expensive option is to have some bleach around which can be used in an emergency to treat water for drinking.
    clg, I was worried about using the bleach and I've been trying to obtain water sterilising tablets, but the camping shop told me that they keep getting asked for them but don't stock them DUH! Anyone know where they sell them? I've also got instructions on how to drain my tank for drinking water, assuming it survives a quake and I can find it. In all honesty I don't think I'm going to be doing that though.

Miep, I'll be dragging my stuff up the hill to your (still standing) house then.

*makes note to self to include oxygen and sherpa's for the climb to miep's house*

Bleach is not a great option but it is better than nothing as I see it. Best bet is a backpacking type water filter with a cleanable filter.

Our whole plan assumes we can at least enter our house and pull things out but it should hold up OK unless it slips down a hill about 10m from one side of the house! That is the good things about how houses here are built, they will more or less stay intact.

A bunch of random things here, make sure your water heater is strapped to a wall same thing with Gas Canisters if you have them. We also keep a flashlight (torch) right next to our bed. We got woken up by a biggish eathquake (Northridge) in LA at 3am and everything that could fall over did. Not easy getting out of a building when it is pitch black and everything has fallen over. Assume that everything in your house not bolted down will end up on the floor so plan accordingly! Make sure you know how to turn of water and gas supplies. Don't forget about food for your pets.

Chris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast