Thread: where are the jobs

Cool where are the jobs

Hi, this is my first time so please be gentle

My husband and i are seriously thinking of making the move to NZ and are researching everything very very thoroughly!!! My husband is a qualified butcher (skills shortage) but we cant seem to find any jobs on the internet, where are they advertised? We have gone through various search engines but these seem to find jobs in OZ!!! we have also looked in the NZ Herald paper, Can anyone help? Do you think we should email his CV through to butchers shops? or my husband go out to NZ and find a job? If this was the case and he found work, how long would the visa take approx (given everything went smoothly) and do prospective employers show empathy and wait? Sorry if this doesnt make sense, THIS WEATHER

Hi and welcome! This is the online version of the Herald job section, it finds 19 butcher's jobs...

http://search4jobs.nzherald.co.nz

From what I've read, it's often difficult (but not impossible) to get jobs when you're not actually in NZ, so a trip out there might be a good option, seems to have worked for some folk on here. There are lots of threads here about the application process and timings, and plenty of people who will be willing to share their personal experiences with you

Thumbs up

hi
    Thanks for that info, i think the best thing to do would be to jump on a plane and have a scout about to see what he can find. I am sure the jobs are out there but are probably advertised in shop windows or local papers, similar to butchers jobs in the uk

Hi Markiemark,
    Not sure where you're headed, but try SEEK, Trades and Services: there are 2 butcher jobs there today on this link http://www.seek.co.nz/trades-services-jobs/
    Also, if you register with The Bay of Plenty development people (called Priority One) they will send you weekly updates of jobs in the Bay of Plenty Times, which you can't see online. There was one this week for a Butchery Manager. If of interest, PM me and I will send details.
    Hope this helps,
    Gil

Hi
    Thanks for that, we are hoping to go to South Island Nelson Tasman region, but need to research before we complete our EOI, hence using this wonderful forum
    Want to make sure we leave no stone unturned
    Thanks
    Kirsty

Hi markiemark

A few weeks ago, I walked into pak n save and they were advertising "butcher wanted", there are dozens of supermarket sprinkle around a city and most of them have a deli or meat section. Hope this help.

ooh spooky...I was watching a news story tonight, where this butcher is closing up shop, and going to work in his familys wood supply business...why....because hes been priced out of business by the supermarkets, and that all apprentise butchers are working in these large supermarket delis and butchery departments.

Must admit, I buy my meat from the supermarket at the minute, but theres a MAD butcher near us that I spotted the other day, so I was going to go and check out the prices. Meat is actually expensive in NZ, you have to watch out for discounts and offers and then buy a bulk lot.

Good luck though, as there are still jobs out there, but you may find you will have to come for a reccy as most Kiwi companies - in what ever field - prefer to meet face to face.

Kat

Yeah, find that in most of my chats with employment peeps, they want you on the ground ready to go unless they really desperate and you have the skills they need.

Good luck in whatever path you may choose to take

Steve