Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving Licence Frustration!!!

Unhappy Driving Licence Frustration!!!

My 17 year old daughter had started driving lessons in the UK this year but never managed to get as far as her test before we left to come here. Yesterday we went down to the driving centre to enquire about what she has to do over here to be able to drive and to cut a long story short she took her theory test and passed and now has a NZ learners licence. She's applied for an exemption to be able to go straight on to the restricted licence as she's held the UK one for 6 months now and we should hear very shortly whether they will do this for her or not. But.... in the meantime she can't drive with hubby or me in the car with her even though she's got a learners licence and she'll have "l" plates because we haven't held a NZ licence for more than 2 years. I spent quite a long time clarifying this with the people behind the counter and stressed that I've held my UK licence for over 23 years and have never had an accident or any points on it etc etc but it doesn't matter! Even when she gets the restricted licence hubby and I still will not be allowed in the car with her! As you can imagine we're pretty annoyed about this but it gets worse .... our 17 year old can also apply for an exemption to allow her to carry our 15 year old in the car with her (for the purpose of taking her to school etc) but she will still not be allowed to carry me or my husband in the car with her!!!! We can't believe it to be honest, even though we do believe it.

It also appears that even if she had tried to pass her test in the UK and managed to do that she still wouldn't have had a full licence over here as she wouldn't have held the UK full licence for 2 years.

I know there's nothing anybody can do but just felt like a bit of a rant!!! It also points this situation out for others. I wonder if anybody else has discovered this too?

Well thats totally confused me then.

When we were in NP at xmas, our friends daughter was allowed to drive their car with them in it. Dad was pleased as he could have a drink etc although Mum was sitting with her in the front, sober as a judge.

She wasn't allowed to take anyone under 18 ( I think) in the car with her, so when she went out with her friends they all had to drive in the own cars.

So is your daughter only banned from doing this until her restricted license comes? Have they said how long that will be? You are right, it seems unbelievable.

On a good note thank you for reminding me I need to go and do mine.

I went to do my theory test the other day - it's dead easy!!

Seeing as I never got round to driving in the UK I have to do all the stages, but it does seem much easier to pass over here than it does in the UK!

Quote Originally Posted by off2nz
    My 17 year old daughter had started driving lessons in the UK this year but never managed to get as far as her test before we left to come here. Yesterday we went down to the driving centre to enquire about what she has to do over here to be able to drive and to cut a long story short she took her theory test and passed and now has a NZ learners licence. She's applied for an exemption to be able to go straight on to the restricted licence as she's held the UK one for 6 months now and we should hear very shortly whether they will do this for her or not. But.... in the meantime she can't drive with hubby or me in the car with her even though she's got a learners licence and she'll have "l" plates because we haven't held a NZ licence for more than 2 years. I spent quite a long time clarifying this with the people behind the counter and stressed that I've held my UK licence for over 23 years and have never had an accident or any points on it etc etc but it doesn't matter! Even when she gets the restricted licence hubby and I still will not be allowed in the car with her! As you can imagine we're pretty annoyed about this but it gets worse .... our 17 year old can also apply for an exemption to allow her to carry our 15 year old in the car with her (for the purpose of taking her to school etc) but she will still not be allowed to carry me or my husband in the car with her!!!! We can't believe it to be honest, even though we do believe it.

It also appears that even if she had tried to pass her test in the UK and managed to do that she still wouldn't have had a full licence over here as she wouldn't have held the UK full licence for 2 years.

I know there's nothing anybody can do but just felt like a bit of a rant!!! It also points this situation out for others. I wonder if anybody else has discovered this too?
    Hi i think we will be in the same situation when we get there next month, let me know how you get on with your appeals

I too would be interested in the outcome.

My 17 year old son is currently learning to drive in the UK with his test planned for September, sounds like he will have to take his test again in NZ because he wouldn't have held a full licence for 2 years

Hi
    Yes I will certainly post the outcome on here. Jess did receive her learners licence through the post on Friday so that was really quick. We had to post the exemption separately (did that on Wednesday last week I think) so I am not sure how long that will take.

It's just really frustrating that we cannot sit with her in the car so she can get experience. It looks like more money with a driving instructor!!!

G

Quote Originally Posted by Leachie
    My 17 year old son is currently learning to drive in the UK with his test planned for September, sounds like he will have to take his test again in NZ because he wouldn't have held a full licence for 2 years
    So, if I understand correctly, anyone who has not held a full NZ licence for 2 years has to re-do their test??? Or do you mean if your son hasn't done his test before you go?

My daughter (now 18) passed her test earlier this month, and has received her full UK licence. So will we all have to do a test again?

Sorry for being a bit slow here, but I am very puzzled!

Thanks,
    Gil

Anyone with a full UK licence just does the theory test, so you are fine...

problem here seems to be with learner drivers and who can supervise..., tried to find something on the website to confirm whats what, but cant seem to get it... I know its in the road code..

Found it...

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/56.html

and heres the learner info

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/45.html

True enough, you cant supervise unless you have had an NZ licence for 2 years.

Thanks for posting those links, Sal, I picked the paper copies of the factsheets up from the driving centre but didn't have the website links - you saved me typing it all up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast