Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overlander Train

Unhappy Overlander Train

I have taken a 12-hour train from Toronto to New York and enjoyed it very much.

In NZ, I was looking forward to take the Overlander from Auckland to Wellington but bad news had dashed my dream http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/s...jectid=10393040

It is ashamed that train travel like this is going to be history.............. (write up from Tranzscenic)

The Overlander is a journey through the heart of the North Island, travelling between Auckland - New Zealand’s largest city and home of the Sky Tower, to Wellington - New Zealand’s arts and culture capital. Along the way you pass the Central North Island ski towns of National Park and Ohakune, popular with young and old alike. You also see fantastic views of New Zealand farmland, the volcanic plateau, Mount Ruapehu, the world famous Raurimu Spiral, and stunning river gorges – all from our panoramic windows or open air viewing decks allowing you the best possible views.

All carriages feature large panoramic windows giving sweeping views of the magnificent North Island. The Observation Carriage includes a mix of seating including lounge style seating. The lounge style seating is arranged at the very rear of this glass backed carriage enabling you to enjoy a totally unique Overlander experience.

The Overlander departs Auckland and Wellington daily. Whether you are planning a weekend getaway or a longer trip, tour New Zealand's North Island by rail and see it all while you sit back and relax.

http://www.tranzscenic.co.nz/services/overlander.aspx

Kat, I try to move your response here :
    Quote Originally Posted by katandbob
    yeah for all their quaint words on their website, they are just after the big buck...and they don't give a monkeys brass balls whether the little towns on the trains routes turn into ghost towns.
    There you go, conglomerate companys at their best. I better get booked on the alpine train before they cancel that one!

I've been on the overlander between Auckland and Palmerston North. It is a fantastic journey.

I've done the 3 day East to West journey on the Indian Pacific in oz too - but the Overlander beats that hands down.

We did the journey about 3 years ago - just me and 2 small kids. They loved every minute of the ride - never got bored. One of the best things was the way the conductor kept coming over the tannoy telling us to look at various things we were passing ...... at one stage he even told us to look at bird in a tree. The train doesn't go very fast so you get to see everything.

Diny

I saw that too. I was planning on taking it from Auckland to Palmerston North in November but I guess I'll have to fly both ways.

I can see why it wouldn't have much of a market though with an average speed of only 55km/hour. That's even worse than Amtrak

Quote Originally Posted by jdbob
    I can see why it wouldn't have much of a market though with an average speed of only 55km/hour. That's even worse than Amtrak

Have to admit, the day we did the journey there were a total of about 18 passengers.

Let's hope that the Overlander could be saved............... keep fingers-X

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectid=10393575

lets hope that they win a reprive, I was hoping to take the train with the Kids some time in the next year, specially with Cole, little kids love trains!

and I agree, if AIR NZ get subsidys, so should the Overlander, and the Alpine Express, after all they offer tourists a SAFE alternative to driving along those routes...keeping the roads less crowded...can you imagine the increase in hire cars in the summer on the roads!

The Herald on Sunday (31 July 2006) mentioned...............

The pace of modern life makes it hard to justify spending 12 hours on a trip that takes only an hour by air, particularly when it costs more by rail. But to judge the matter entirely by the criterion of efficiency is to ignore what is lost.

The passenger rail link, which would have marked its centenary in 2009, is part of our shared history - most memorably and tragically for the Tangiwai disaster of Christmas Eve, 1953 which claimed 151 lives.

The main truck line was the making of much of the country too, responsible for the creation of many of the communities through which it passed. When road travel was either a luxury or an impossibility, the rail link enabled the settlement of the Central Plateu and ensured that new communities, though remote, were not isolated.

What ashame if NZ lost this part of the history and heritage

Yes, it would be a shame! We were wanting to make that trip sometime this year as well. Now we have to see if we can get that done before the end of september.

Default Good news !

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10403445

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast