Thread: IT/Tech contractor rates (Wellington + Auckland)

Default IT/Tech contractor rates (Wellington + Auckland)

Is $50/hr for full-time for up to a year good? I'm not sure what the typical contractor rates are in NZ. I've seen some numbers $50-$100K/year but I think contractors are paid more because it's considered "temp work."

After all the NZ taxes, the salary is equivalent to what I make in Canada and the cost of living is slightly lower here. It's really a quality of life decision I think... unless I can ask for a higher contract rate.

Voxel - what role is that for ?

A senior software engineer. The rate seems fine (and quite good for NZ). I was expecting salaries to be near equivalent to Canadian... but that's true only in specialized in-demand fields.

Husband informs me, that contract rates in Auckland for a reasonably senior tech role in Auckland (he's a solutions architect btw), would be closer to $80 - $90 per hour.

Some of the larger companies like Unisys or Gen-i (part of Telecom) will try and shaft you with lower rates, but these places are just body shops, and you don't want to work in them.

Hope this makes sense to you.

Quote Originally Posted by jubjub
    Husband informs me, that contract rates in Auckland for a reasonably senior tech role in Auckland (he's a solutions architect btw), would be closer to $80 - $90 per hour.
    Thanks.

Those numbers sound closer to the final offer. Outside of Auckland I think the rates drop a bit...