Thread: Electrician Registration

Default Electrician Registration

Hello,

I am a kiwi who is returning home after 9 years in the UK. Scary!!! I can't remember what it's like really so am enjoying this forum, I reckon I will feel like a British immigrant for a while when I get there

My OH is an electrician who thankfully doesn't have to worry about the immigration process (he got residency in the family category which is relatively easy, sorry to those of you who are stuck in the standard process ) but I was wondering if anyone has been through the electrician registration process in NZ? We are particularly interested in the work history they ask for, how much detail do they need??

Quote Originally Posted by londongirl
    We are particularly interested in the work history they ask for, how much detail do they need??
    HI, I applied for my provisional licence last january 06, i e-mailed a guy called Paul McGrail at the EWRB, and sent him a filled in application form together with my CV, which listed every employment and most large projects i'd been on. I was self employed for the last 6 years, so i backed it up with reference letters from my 3 largest clients (as alot of it was subcontracted to larger electrical firms) and he seemed happy enough with that. I found it easier to print a standard format letter with all the installation types listed on it, then i asked my clients to print it out on their letterheads with the relevent installations ticked. PM me with your e-mail address and i'll send you one to use as a template.

CHRIS

Hi Londongirl

I can't help with you electrical queries, sorry.

I'm sure you're looking forward to coming home.
    I just wanted to say welcome to the forum and good luck with all your plans.

Hi Londongirl

I can't help with your electrical enquiries. Just wanted to say hi and welcome. We arrived in NZ in March - for me it was 9 years, 1 month since I'd left for my big OE. Are you prepared for the culture shock of 'coming home'. I can honestly say that I don't think I was. Am feeling alot more settled now, but I still have days when I'd gladly pack up and head back to London .

Welcome to the forum! I'm a kiwi going back to NZ after 8-plus years in the US, so I know what you mean about feeling like an immigrant.

Wow, thanks for the welcome all, and for the help Charlosparky. It is well scary heading back to the home land and I don't reckon I'm anywhere near prepared for the settling in period, but all I can do is try aye!!

Hello london girl,

I have an electrical contracting business in Hamilton (Waikato).
    If your OH has no problems emigrating I strongly suggest you wait until you arrive in NZ before going through the registration process. To do it from the UK is both time consuming and expensive.
    If OH is a good tradesman he will have no problems finding employment immediately, irrespective of not having formal NZ qualification or registration - just so long as he starts the registration process without delay.
    If you have any queries you can contact us directly through our web site - www.wcw.co.nz
    Check out the employment page on the site - if you're considering the Waikato we'd like to hear from OH.

Cheers,
    Keith