Thread: Business attire in Auckland?

Question Business attire in Auckland?

HI! Although we're not there yet...I'm curious. My plan is to get a job in the financial services industry in Auckland. Coming from the West Coast (US) I'm pretty used to "business casual". Can anyone describe the normal (non-interview) business attire in the banking industry in Auckland? Is it more formal? Do men and women wear suits? What about (gasp!) nylons? I have a couple suits - but may need to stock up if that is the dress code in NZ. Thanks for the sartorial insight....

Katie

The ASB branch staff always look smart, dressed in suits and ties (for women its jacket & blouse, looks like its a supplied uniform), the financial guy who visited the house for our mortgage was also dressed that way too (he was kiwibank).

I asked ASB HR the same question and got the following response, bear in mind this is for their IT Centre in Albany: -

"The dress code at C Drive is corporate. Most of the employees wear pants and a collared shirt, and a tie/ jacket for client meetings. Friday is a little more casual depending on scheduled meetings. No need to pack your Tux "

I work in the bank and it is advisable to wear formal business suits to attend interviews.
    I wear formal business suit from Monday to Thursday and casual on Friday.

When I worked in a non-contact with customers position pretty low on the food chain in banking, it was expected to wear a blouse or smart top with skirt or suit-type-trousers for women and similar trousers and a shirt with (when need be) a smart jersey. Pretty relaxed - and Fridays was pretty much anything provided it was clean, not ripped and non-offensive. Obviously for interviews it's never a bad idea to err on the side of being too formal.

Even in Invercargill, you will see most people walking around in suits and smart gear, I wear the same clothes that I wore for work in the UK and do not look out of place....
    and as to dont pack the tux or smart dresses/ball gown...

Well you need them here...boy I wish i'd packed Robs, as we are going to a ball in August and I now need to hire him one....Luckly I DID pack my long dress! so luckly I don't have to pay out $300!...Thx G for TKmax!!!

Kat