Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carpenter wanted

Arrow Carpenter wanted

Hi my name is Ian I am from the Uk and got my PR 3 years ago, I now have a small building company in New Plymouth.

I currently have a position for a fully qualified Carpenter with site work experiance which I can't fill locally. Ideally we need this position filled before the end of the year.

We currently have contracts to take us through to June 2007 and continuation of work is not a problem. Mostly we do new residential homes designed by architects for private clients, we could give suitable applicants a great foundation in Carpentry Kiwi style (products and building regulations are very differant from the Uk). Pay rates will be competative and working conditions good.

New Plymouth is a great place to live always loads going on and is still quite reasonable for housing etc.

If anybody is interested in the above position please post a reply here and I will contact you.

Also I don't mind answering any questions concerning the NZ building industry

Thank you

Ian

Have PM'd you

Smile Just a question

Hi, My name is Steve and I've been an Union Carpenter in Ca. USA for 25 years.I've been kicking around the idea of retiring in NZ(in 3yrs. 4 mos.).Most of the union work here is concrete forms.I have framed some over the years,room additions and such.I'm just now starting to study the requirements for PR.A job offer would get me in? I get a pension from Carpenters starting in 2010.I'm currently 51years old.I'm a surfer so New Ply. sounds like a great location.Like I said I'm just starting to plan this move,but it sure sounds tempting.My wife andI have been to NZ twice,and we love it.Hope you don't mind alot of questions Thanks Steve

Hi Steve, the larger commercial buildings or appartments require formwork as do some foundations on domestic properties. Most of the work is framing, cladding and general carpentry here. Not sure on the rules for retiring in NZ though. Hope this helps.

Thanks

Ian

Question Help and information

Hello Ian, my husband and I are thinking about moving to New Zealand. He is an NVQ level 3 qualified carpenter/joiner and is getting really fed up with the building trade in this country (UK). Can you tell me what the work is like over there please? Key problems my husband is finding are that people pretending to be carpenters are bodging jobs that he is then called in to put right, also everybody seems to be wanting things done on the cheap with no real quality work being required. Is there a lot of work over there for a carpenter/joiner? I note that the role is listed on the long term skills list required for New Zealand and I wondered what areas have the most work going on at the moment. Any information that you can give me in these areas would be gratefully received.

Jayne

Hi Jayne,

There is definatly plenty of work for Carpenters, also we do a larger variety of work here as all the houses are timber framed and unless it's clad in brick Carpenters are also responsible for putting on the weatherboards or other cladding. People here do still expect quality and a high standard is always required anything less and we wouldn't have a buisness for long. There are always people trying to cash in on building booms wherever you are but next year they are bringing in builder licences, with all builders having to be assesed and licensed by 2009. This will mean that any work which requires a building permit/consent which is most work does, will have to be done by a licenced practitioner. Great news for competent builders/carpenters.

I don't really know about other areas but there is a shortage of just about any skilled tradesman in Taranaki.

Hope this helps

Ian

Default Thank you and just 1 more question ....

Thank you for the prompt reply it was really helpful. Do you know whether NVQ level 3 is an accepted qualification or do we need to get it assessed separately? I have asked the Immigration Department but they weren't able to answer this very clearly as NVQs are not on their list.

What's it like in Taranaki? Do you recommend it as a place to live and work? Also, have you filled your vacancy yet?

Thanks again.

Sorry don't know about NZQ level 3 and it's over 3 years ago since we went through the immigration process so any info on that subject that I could offer would probably be out of date.

Taranaki is agreat place to live, we live in New Plymouth which is constantly changing, loads of things to do and see and the people are great. Have a look at www.taranakinz.org

I can recomend it as a good place to work and live but then again it's the only place in NZ that I have lived.

Cheers

Ian

No I havn't filled the vacancy has not been filled yet.

Thanks for the information - Taranaki looks a smashing place to live.

Hello this Cathy & John
    Just subcribed to the forum and hope that I will be able to gain some support and valuable infiormation to prepare us for our Big Adventure in February.
    Our situation: I am 31yrs Travel Agent for 7 years and my partner John 30yrs an apprentice Carpenter with 2 years experience and Basic Qualification from Collegue. We both did a 1 year WHV back in 2002 and loved NZ and vowed to return and live.

We have our flights booked and will try and get work offers & permit when we arrive on Kiwi Soil with the view of applying for PR after. My main concern is for my partner John, whom has limited experience but perhaps being more employable for carpentry work than I. Would proving this to immigration in order to get a work permit present a problem, he has references, basic skills qual, but most of all he is hard working, willing to learn and very pleasant person with a keen interest to develope a career in carpentry. Would immigration still give him a WP with an offer of employment and would employers be interested in him as a trainee of sorts?

Your advise would be much appreciated.
    Cathy & John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast