Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any radio stations like BBC radio stations?

Default Any radio stations like BBC radio stations?

Hi
    I have started to listen to one or 2 radio stations on the net based in Auckland like Radio Live and NewstalkZB.
    Being used to listening BBC radio 3, radio 4, 5 live and 5 live extra I am not used to hearing so many ADVERTS! Driving me nuts having to listen to them.
    So any decent radio stations in NZ without adverts???

The closest you will get is Radio NZ or National Radio which is almost, but not quite, something like radio4 (not a real comparison though!)

I listen to the BBC on the internet, and download programmes as mp3s to listen to in the car.

He He, guess you better get used to the ads!! RNZI is the closest you will get, better off getting a short wave radio and tuning to the world service or getting it on the internet. I hope to get a decent short wave receiver myself and put a decent antenna up.

We usually listen to brit radio on the internet although occasionally we listen to local as we know one of the dj,s . i cant beleive they just give out the phone number of callers here over the radio they would never dream of that now in uk i,m sure. like somebody will ring in and say i,ve got a wheelbarrow to sell for $20 and just gives there phone number. the adverts do do your head in though so we dont listen long.

We usually listen to Radio 5 over the internet too - More FM is an absolute nightmare for ads, and for the fact they only seem to have 5 songs which they play on loop all the time (if i hear that punk rocker song one more time I swear I'll scream!) Oh for a BBC station
    Mind you, if that's the only thing we miss, and it is so far, then we're doing pretty well!!

Thanks for replies and especially to Adamsat & StevieD.
    I have been listening to Radio New Zealand last evening and this morning on the internet and it is similar-ish to radio 4.
    http://www.radionz.co.nz/nr/home#
    Certainly varied and thank goodness no adverts!
    Also the voices seem to be clear and well spoken with moderate accents so good for the kids to listen to and pick up.
    They also have a nice classical station- concert FM.

If anyone knows any other radio stations, not on the interenet in NZ, without commercials please let us know.
    Thanks

oops.
    When I said any other non commercial radio stations not on the internet I meant those that broadcast over radio waves in NZ (auckland) that can be picked up on normal radio am or fm. It is fine for them to also be accessable on the internet of course.

Thanks for the link UKtokiwi, I could listen to Radio 4 through internet but then I'd rarely get much NZ news and comment, which I think will be a steep learning curve for S and I (atm I know very little about NZ government and politics ), but an essential one for us for making NZ our home.

Ads are everywhere on most radio stations, but as suggested, Radio NZ will probably meet your needs. What makes us laugh is how cheesy & tin pot some of the ads are. On national radio stations the DJ's read out some of the ads & on local radio stations the DJ's literally do everything - news, weather, traffic report, ads etc. we find it a very good laugh when driving through NZ on trips away.

In Auckland you can pick up BBC World Service on AM 410.

Edit: Oops, that should have been AM (MW) 810.
    Last edited by Howie; 31st August 2006 at 10:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast