Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making Friends

Hi Montana

I think most people find it difficult to make new friends, its a case of where do you start! Well from my own experience it takes time and you just need staying power! When we first moved in to our house we sent informal invites to all our neighbours in the cul de sac and held a coffee and cake morning only expecting a few to turn up, that morning they all arrived bearing lots more cake. My kettle was never turned off and it now allows us to at least know who are neighbours are and they always wave to us and pop in occassionally.

As smiler already said never turn down an invitation, even though it might not be quite what you are looking for at the moment you never know where it might lead.

Smile, if you're smiling, somene will always smile back.

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses. They really have made me feel more positive. As many of you have said, you really do just have to put yourself out there. I think being in a new country makes that hard sometimes. I was dealing with so many other things I really didnt feel like myself.

But looking at it rationally means forget the pre-judgments you think people may have about you (because they might not), forget the fact that some people just may not like you (and if they don't then there are plenty of other people around that will and remember that you are a nice person who is indeed worth knowing! (no matter where you are from) I expect there will still be hard days and tears, and sometimes it is hard to put yourself out there when you don't feel like yourself. But, you have to give it a try.

And, it just takes time. I've only been here 3 months. Perhaps I can't expect a fully booked social calendar just yet. Soon though!

Hiya, Pete and I have been in a different situation to most as we get a lot of company running the backpackers but we have met our neighbours and class them as friends. with us its been pretty equal with them coming to meet us and us going to them.
    But if you are in chch you are more than welcome to come and see us, we run two businesses so are fairly busy but will PM details if your want some more contacts.

Hi Veronica, Thanks very much for that. I've tried to PM you back a couple of times but it is saying there is something wrong w/ the site and to refresh my browser. Not sure what that means but I assume they didnt go through
    Anyway, may stop by at some point but if for some reason I don't see you, will look forward to meeting up at the Twisted Hop!

Crikeys you have some long posts there.

Just saying gidday! I SOOO know what it is like trying to make friends, while in Canada I was very lonely, only made one friend - so now I am back in Christchurch I have been going on websites to help people that are now in my situation - NEW to town and trying to make friends!!
    Different when you are at skool huh!
    Go to www.gumtree.co.nz - post an advert on there.
    I have PM you today.
    Ciao

Melza - there's a couple of us girls meeting for a coffee next Thursday if you'd like to join us? That goes for anyone who fancies elevenses and a catch up in Chch PM me...

Elevenses, sounds cute!

It's like brunch but without the bacon

So, what exactly does "elevenses " mean??

"A nice sit down with a cup of tea"
    Usually around 11am when you are totally bored with work and feel that you have done enough for for the day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast