Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Word of warning - weapons

Thanks for that Brit Guy .... I'd be well cheesed off if it got confiscated.

It's got abit of blood thirsty sentimental value to me.

Diny

What about kitchen knives extremely sharp chopping ones.

They are weapon do you think we will need clearance on these too :eek

jo

OOOOhhhh, I bet you will, or maybe you could blunt the edge and promise the nice customs man that you won't sharpen it when you get there... while you're at it, just make a check that you dont have any pencils that have been oversharpened... you could stab someone with those don't you know! (just kiddin') But lets be real Jo.. do you think that you have to be a qualified Chef to be 'in possesion of kitchen knives in New Zealand?? :

Interesting points made there Brit guy. As you say, a knife is a knife really. A friend of ours went to NZ recently and he took his competition archery gear along for the ride. This included a very powerfull Bow and a couple of dozen very sharp arrows. No problemo..he was even allowed to set up temporary targets and do a bit of practice on a public beach. Apparently nobody raised an eyebrow.

Just shows you how ridiculous the ‘letter of the law’ can be sometimes… I was once cautioned (not officially) about a lock-knife that I had with me whilst doing my job. For those who don’t know, a lock knife just means that it is a knife with a fold out blade that locks in the open position until a release catch is pressed, allowing the blade to be folded back into the handle. This is a safety mechanism, which prevents the blade folding onto your fingers when using it. However, there are strict guidelines about the length of the blade and possession etc. The friendly ‘Copper’ (someone I know) told me that I could be in trouble for having ‘the knife’. The funny part … well… hilarious more like, is that I was in my work clothes at the time, and I was using it ‘on-the-job (Electrician)’. I told him to take a look in my van… I pointed out all manner of tools, some which would be considered extremely ‘offensive weapons’ if you took them out with you when you pop down the pub! Examples being, razor sharp saws, axe, Stanley knives, hammers, dozens of sharp-pointy-nasty things etc, to which he said “well, they are okay because it’s not against the law to possess them…”
    It is this attitude that angers me so much… lets look at it another way… if a number of homicides were committed knitting needles, it is quite possible that the government would ban, or more likely ‘restrict’ or licence the use thereof. Poor old Granny!!

Timbo… Wow, now that is the opposite to the extreme! There is a vast difference I guess, as the archery on-the-beach would be a public safety issue (stay arrows etc), whereas, a knife won’t jump out of your hand and stab someone without at least a little help. I must say however, that the thought of living somewhere, where there is ROOM enough to even consider setting up to shoot arrows… well, that’s one of my reasons for moving to NZ… SPACE!! Hey, just a thought… imagine doing the same on the beach at Skegness or Blackpool!!.. Heck, you could shoot a dozen arrows into the air and not hit sand once!. Hell of a way to clear yourself a spot though huh?

I am a little concerned about an electrician who carrys an axe in the van. Hmmm! :?

...Had a couple of bad paying customers

The truth... this sparky is also a plumber, carpenter, builder etc!!

I prefer your first reason. I know what you mean though, one has to be adaptable these days.

I have 2 replica swords Claymore sword and Mcload sword do you think they will be a problem? Got the shipper coming around on wed so will ask.

Nahhhhh... but Claymore mines could be!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast