Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: primary schools in Chch

Default primary schools in Chch

Hi,

Anyone got any thoughts on primary schools in chch?

My OH will be working at the airport, we haven't decide where to live but have looked at the recommended areas in previous posts.

We should be coming in February/March next year.

Our daughter is 5 at the moment.

I have put most of this in another post but any help would be appreciated.

We're just about to start renting in Burnside.

Ours (9,7,5) will be going to Roydvale School. ( http://www.roydvale.school.nz ) Recommended by people on the ground.

Also the Burnside Senior School is meant to be a very good one. Burnside is in the close vicinity to the airport.

The http://www.schoolzones.co.nz/

website (when working properly) and the

http://www.tki.org.nz/e/schools/

helped us greatly (but actually, it all depended on where we could find a fully furnished rental home - hot many we could afford!)

Cheers

David

Thanks David, that is really useful.

Where did you find your rental? and how much are you paying, if you don't mind me asking? I need to start working out some costs. I saw a 3 bed in Burnside for $450 a week.

Is your 5 year old a girl by any chance, perhaps we could meet up some time? All going well my husband is coming out next month Sept 18-22 for a visit and then we may all come out at Christmas.

and if you guys ever need a babysitter then I'll be around...!

jen1,

Sorry our 5 year old is a boy for 50% of the time and complete fruit cake for the other 50%

The house in Burnside $450 pw is probably the one we are going to rent! (Memorial Avenue). After agreeing to take that one we have found a slighly cheaper (or was it bigger?) one somewhere, but the details are now lost to me.

The school I'm going to work at found the place for me - talking directly to rental companies in the locality.

We're hoping to buy before Christmas, so who knows...if it suited you, it may be a case of we leave and you arrive! We'll let you know what it's like when we've been there a while. Strangley I did a search on Google for the address and found it mentioned in another Brit's blog...he'd stayed there for a short time last year or so! Small world.

Thanks for the babysitting offer Jodie! I wonder how many Brits there are in Chch?

David

Lots of Brits in Chch!! Burnside & Memorial Ave are really good areas (from what I know). Thinking ahead, but the high school is fantastic (according to most)- especially with regards to The Arts department. Hayley Westernra went to that school...

I have just looked at Fendalton Open Air school, any one know anything about it?

do you have to pay for schools in nz?

Loads and loads of Brits in Chch - especially in Sumner where we live. When the girls started school back in March, the children in their classes were asked to raise their hands if they were born in England and about half of them raised their hands! We always have a joke when the kids are talking about friends - are they Brits or Kiwis? Occasionally, one will be going to play at a 'kiwi' friend's house, but when we pick them up, invariably the parents are brits. From what I can gather, it's the same in Rangiora and Woodend - Brits seem to be attracted to these places for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by jen1
    I have just looked at Fendalton Open Air school, any one know anything about it?

Fendalton is an amazing school. We have had staff flown down to ChCh to spend a day there just observing the school. They have fantastic vision.

If I lived there it would certainly be high on my list of possibilities both to teach in and to send my daughter to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast