Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to live in Wellington... again...

Default Where to live in Wellington... again...

Hi everybody. Sorry, I know there are loads of posts on where to live in the Wellington area, but I'm a picky so-and-so and would love your thoughts on the following. No kids, so schools etc not an issue. My wife and I do have what we understand is a bit of a weird requirement for NZ, though, which is that we would like to try to get by without a car if we can. I'll be working in the city centre (with any luck), so it'd be good to be a short bus / train ride away, preferably no more than 30 minutes. Also pretty important to us would be to be able to get home by bus / affordable taxi after a late night out in the city (if such things exist!).

It'd be great if we were walking distance from some shops, preferably some selling good quality local produce (I know, I know, typical English foodie), and would prefer a house rather than a flat, so don't want to do the actual city centre. Oh, budget is pretty (or very) limited to start off with, maybe $200 - $300 a week to start off with?

So, not a tall order at all then...

Oh, couple of other little things. When we came, we actually liked the look of the bit round the back of the mountain with all the little windy roads (it's where my Mum and Dad used to live). Does anybody know what that place is called? And does anybody know if there's an online map of Wellington anywhere? I've been searching for an NZ Streetmap eqivalent with very little success.

Cheers, everybody.

I have found this map very helpful when looking at real estate listings:

http://www.wellington.govt.nz/maps/p...bs/suburbs.pdf

At least it gives you some idea of the location of the suburbs in relation to the city centre.

Another website I find useful is www.smaps.co.nz (you can also find it on the trademe.co.nz website).
    Last edited by tchelseat; 31st August 2006 at 01:42 AM.

You could try the NZ version of multimap (www.multimap.co.nz) Having said that I think there are lots of other ones too.

We’re in a similar situation (no kids, job in CBD, want to walk/bus to work). We’re looking at Wadestown / Wilton and then over the other side at Kilbirnie / Hataitai.

Have a look on TradeMe to get an idea of rental and house prices (www.trademe.co.nz)

On the food thing we were very impressed with the quality of fresh food in NZ generally. I’m another serious foodie so managed a fair bit of “supermarket tourism” on our recce trip. There’s a Pak n Save and a Woolworths in Kilbirnie and a New World right in the middle of the city (Wakefield St)

Mmm, I think I remember the New World - tiny little door, goes back for miles? Near that funny train that goes up to the observatory? I must admit, I was thinking more about organic-farmers-market-style places, but maybe that's a little ambitious - we only get one a farmers' market a month here in Colchester. But you are right, I do remember the supermarkets being pretty good, fresh mussel stands and the like.

I just remembered something else we were interested in. Not sure if we'd want to live there or not, but is there a corner of the city which is sort of arty / studenty? Some sort of bohemian quarter with cafes and bars and stuff? I know the bit around Cuba Street does that in the middle, but is there a suburb (i.e. somewhere we could afford to live) which has similar characteristics?

I think you are thinking of Star Mart - there are loads of them about but found them pretty useless if you want more than bread and milk to be honest. New World is a decent sized supermarket much further round towards Te Papa then maybe a street or two back from the waterfront.

I do remember some friends who are living in wellington at the moment telling us about a farmers market that happened on sundays but I don't know more than that.

Oh almost forgot - we didn't get to go when we were there but I did hear people raving about Moore Wilson Fresh - the impression I got was a big cash and carry type outlet but with a supposedly exceptional fresh food bit - again over towards New World but a bit further back from the waterfront still

Hi civillian. $200 and $300/wk to rent a house is going to make it difficult if you don't want a small flat. You could rent out in Hutt for that price and take public transport, but not with the kind of arty student atmosphere you're hoping for. Maybe you could find something in Island Bay? We looked at one small house there for just over $300 and probably could have gotten it, but only because we were the first in line waiting when the agent arrived. By the time she pulled up there were about 20 of us!

Don't mean to disappoint, but it's hard to see how you will get all you want for the price without taking a flat instead of a full house. But others here have much better insider knowledge, and maybe they can think of the right spot for you.

On the food front, there is the small Commonsense Organics store, the Moore Wilson's, and the Mediterranean Food Warehouse. You can see some of what the latter sells online here.

Wikipedia has a great map of suburbs with descriptions of many at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._in_wellington
    Last edited by jess; 31st August 2006 at 09:05 AM. Reason: added a link

Don't know if this link will help for your map question but give it look: http://www.wises.co.nz/

Emily

Hi,
    The wises.co.nz as stated above is great for finding your way around Wellington - I regularly use it and gets me where I want.

We live on the City end of Karori and rent out our downstairs flat - which is absolutely not posh, rather basic for $ 250.00 per week. We walk to work (40 minutes) - a taxi from cbd costs $ 15.00. But we have a car to be able to get out as well.

I have to agree that with your budget it might prove difficult to find exactly what you want, but you never know - just search all those websites and you might be lucky. When you do not care that much about standard of the house, that would make it easier as well.

Good luck,
    Anita

There is a veggie farmers market near Tepapa (next door) on sinday mornings. Starts about 7 ish and goes on til around 1 pm.

Produce is plentiful and there's choice with a few specials stall thrown in for homemade cakes, jams and some fresh herbs and flowers.

On Saturday morning there is a large market in Porirua. It starts early about 6 (never been at that time though ) and it packs up around 10-10.30 am.

Seems a bit cheaper to me than the welly one. It has meat, fish and food stalls too. It gets very busy too.

I'd heard there was another sunday market in Newtown, maybe someone knows of that one.

On the rental side you could manage Porirua/Titahi bay on that as well as the Hutt.

although you can't walk in from either. Bus train or bike.
    HTH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast