Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: teacher salaries

Default teacher salaries

I have just received my reprt back from NZQA and apparantly i am a level 7.

The report is very basic , it does give some follow up websites to check out teacher salaries but they are really difficult to navigate and i am loosing patience!

Does any one have any idea what salary i could expect as a secondary school teacher with 4 years exp. in uk. I have previously been told about $50.000 per annum but i am not sure if that is before or after tax? and what tax thresold i would come in to.

My major concern is that financially we are not that secure once we are in NZ. (planning frantically for Oct/Nov) I will be working full time but my OH will be house husband for at least 6 months as we know no-one there and we have 3 sons ( 13, 8 and 2)

we are bringing approx £17, 000 (still saving!) to set up and we are taking basic house hold stuff to avoid buying things we already have.

Can anyone offer an opinion on our situation, can it be done or arewe dreaming!

P.S both OH and i are veteran frugal consumers from being mature uni students with kids etc.

Thanks for listening

Sue

Teacher salaries are all available here:

http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?...x&indexid=1014

It depends on what level you are teaching, and in what sector - primary, secondary etc.

Hope this helps.

Rather confusing web site that...Thanks for posting though.

Any secondary school teachers out there teaching in Auckland who were assesed to level 7 fancy giving me a clue as to what I can expect to earn?

Thanks

Sue

http://www.ppta.org.nz/internal.asp?...bCat1ID=100489

Try the above link. I was told that you get credited with 1 year for every 2 worked and I am pretty sure you start on step 6. I think that $50,000 will be on the high side for starting. I have 6 years experience and I am expecting to earn $43,000 to start. Also bear in mind it can take a while to sort out your pay and you may end up on unqualified rates for a while. $24,000. All gets sorted out in the end though.

Edited to say: I am not in Aukland - Also it depends on what type of degree you have!

OK - Thanks for that...

Sue

Hi Sue,
    I'm so frustrated as I had typed out a long post full of info for you and lost it somewhere..so here goes (again).

We are in a similar situation - we are arriving in NZ (from the U.S) in Oct/Nov where I will work as a teacher and my OH will be house dad for about 6 months too. We have three girls 9,7 and 6. We plan to settle in the Northland area somewhere.

Rather than guess at what my salary might be, I completed a request for a salary assesmment (available here: http://www.payroll-serv.co.nz/ ). I included a cover letter, certified copies of my NZQA assessment, and letters verifying the duration of my teaching experience. From that info the powers that be were able to tell me down to the dollar what my salary would be. It has given me great peace of mind to be able to come up with a budget of sorts before arriving. It's definitely worth a try!

From my understanding primary and secondary teachers have seperate collective agreements although their salary scales are the same...I was teaching in NZ when the big fight for pay parity between the two sectors was on - and the primary teachers won their request for equal recogniation and pay with secondary teachers back then (1993??). I am a primary teacher so was thrilled with that change as our salaries went up quite a bit as a result!

Hope that helps a little. I'd be happy to answer any more questions you may have. Best of luck!

Amy.

Quote Originally Posted by auskiwi
    Hi Sue,

Rather than guess at what my salary might be, I completed a request for a salary assesmment (available here: http://www.payroll-serv.co.nz/ ). I included a cover letter, certified copies of my NZQA assessment, and letters verifying the duration of my teaching experience. From that info the powers that be were able to tell me down to the dollar what my salary would be. It has given me great peace of mind to be able to come up with a budget of sorts before arriving. It's definitely worth a try!

Amy.
    Amy, was it OK not to have a job already. It's just on the application form it should be signed by the principal. Was this what the covering letter was for? If I am being a little dull, please forgive me!

Sue,

It will also depend on whether you are in the state or independent sector...and on what subject you are teaching,as there may be more demand for certain subjects, allowing extra point thingies to be allocated.

Cheers

David

Nicola,
    I just left that part blank and that was fine. Responded to your email today btw (spentthe weekend in Seattle and just got back today).

Amy.

Quote Originally Posted by auskiwi
    Nicola,
    I just left that part blank and that was fine. Responded to your email today btw (spentthe weekend in Seattle and just got back today).

Amy.
    You are a great lady

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast