Thread: preschool in christchurch

Default preschool in christchurch

we are moving into christchurch next months, we got 3 years old son, and we have asked his preschool leaders' opinions about him starting preschool in NZ, but we would like to ask for your experience..
    How soon after you move to NZ that you start place your young child in preschool? especially that we will be move around from short stay in motel, to rental place then to buy place a year later. We will try to stay same areas or nearby as poss, but we don't know christchurch very well yet for long term stay.

Hi,
    We are in Chch too, have been here since Nov 2005. We have 4 young kids. We spent three weeks in Sumner first, in a holiday let, then moved to another rental bungalow in Beckenham as this allowed us to enrol two of the kids to Thorrington primary school (which is brilliant). We had no job when we came, so no real need for a preschool/playschool, but we thought it would be good for our two youngests to meet other children, have some fun while we were busy applying for jobs, looking for a rental etc.. (it was also easier for us). When I started ringing those places, I was usually told that the waiting list was very long, etc. Also, it was a bit difficult to know where to book them without knowing where we would be living the week after. Eventually, I found "Kiwi kids" (enquiries@kiwikids.org.nz), and they kindly managed to find some places available (twice a week). After a while, when we had sorted the accomodation, school , jobs, things changed and Tom (4,5) started kindergarden in Beckenham, (I had put him on the waiting list). He is now going to school, and a friend of mine minds the little one when I am at work (part time). I am sure other people have had a different experience, but like I said, I had to ring a lot of places before finding something. Coming from a small community in Ireland, I had no idea there would be a wainting list for preschool..it is worth ringing those places regularly as things can change very quickly. (You might not get a place if you ring on the monday, lets say, but then if you try again on the thursday, you might get lucky.).NZ Preschools and kindergardens are lovely, their garden and outdoor spaces really nice.

It helps if you know where you are going to stay (maybe not for good, but for at least a few months). It would be a good idea to start sending a few emails right now.

I read your post about baggage allowance. If it is easier for you, you can borrow our cot, our little girl doesn`t need it anymore. It is not a travel cot but a wooden one, it s a second hand one so not a nice looking one, but it does the job. Also, we have a few toys that you could borrow if you want, stuff for the beach, little tractors, etc..

Laura

Thanks, that will be great help on cot and toys. Also very helpful on info about preschool, just i would like him to start preschool soon as we can when we can find somewhere to stay and right time for him as he love preschool so much as he is very outgoing and socially boy.

Only little hiccup i will face is that i haven't mention in previous posts that i am hearing impaired, so it is impossible for me make any call unless my husband do it for me, so he better to do phoning jobs for me before he start his new job!