Thread: good place to rent in auckland

Default good place to rent in auckland

hi,

we want to look at rentals in auckland, and selected a few neighbourhoods, can any one help with some info on them, please

Mission Bay, Mt Eden, Parnell, St Heliers
    Onehunga, Ellerslie
    Grafton,Newmarket, Eden Terrace
    Orakei, Okahu Bay, Kohimarama
    Epsom,Remuers,Onehunga, One Tree Hill, Greenlane.

Thigs as: safety, distance from airport(Ill be working there), distance from CBD and good day care for children are the most important to us.

Thanks for all your help

OK - well none of the areas are particularly close to the airport. Onehunga would be the closest I guess.
    It depends what you want from your neighbourhood - I know you mentioned safety, good childcare facilities and distance from airport and CBD. It depends on how you intend to get to the airport (I would recommend driving as commuting there would be awful). CBD is definitely commutable by train or bus, and even a short walk from a couple of those areas. Unless you are fortunate enough to get a park with your employment then I wouldn't recommend driving into the CBD - parking costs about $10 a day, which soon adds up!

OK - veyr quick summary of each area you've mentioned:

Mt Eden, Eden Terrace - Very nice area. Close to the CBD, easy commute to the airport via the back streets. Excellent facilites. But, most houses have already been updated, so hard to find a bargain - nice suburbs in the same area are Kingsland (very up and coming), Sandringham and Arch Hill (almost always over looked).

Parnell - I lived here for two years and loved it. But, very expensive! Excellent schools - Parnel Primary is decile 10 and one of the best I encountered annywhere in the country. Also in the zone for AGS and EGGS if you have older children. If you want daycare for pre-school kids in this area PM me and I can send you some recommendations. I know lots of people with babies around here.
    Parnell has some great restaurants and bars, is close to the waterfront, close to the CBD, not so easy to the airport (about 30 mins outside rush hour).

Remuera - Close to Parnell, but even more expensive. The blue blood area of Auckland. Huge houses on massive sections with prices to match.
    Newmarket - Not sure of that many residential areas in Newmarket. Has the best shopping in the city though. It is next to Parnell and Remuera, so same great school zones. Easy to commute too.

Orakei, Okahu Bay, Kohimarama, Mission Bay, St Heliers - all in the same area. Very nice housing, although quite pricey. Close to the beach and some great cafes and bars along the waterfront. Good schools in the vicinity. No idea how long to the airport - about 45 minutes I would guess (not rush hour). About 20 minutes to the CBD outside rush hour. Tamaki Drive is awful in rush hour, so no idea how long it would take then. It also gets really crowded during summer and at weekends. Fab ice-cream shop in Mission Bay!

Epsom, One Tree Hill - excellent schools. In the Grammar and EGGS zone. Exepensive, but in my opinion not much atmosphere. No real centre or shopping zone, other than along a main street, which isn't too pleasant. The stores are up-market and boutique (an aga store, one selling Cath Kidston style housewares etc.) About 20 mins from the airport, and same to CBD.

Greenlane, Ellerslie - Not really my cup of tea. I work in Ellerslie and find it dull. Easy to commute and certainly a lot cheaper than Parnell or Remuera to buy a house. I don't know the schools so well, so would suggest checking the TKI website.

Onehunga - well, lets just say it's close to the airport and has Dressmart. Other than that I can't think of anything!

Grafton - very odd little area. The hospital is here, and the domain (which is lovely), not much else. Easy to the CBD, bit of a trek out to the airport though.

Sorry, have waffled on here for ages. If you want to know more about any other areas just let me know. I have plenty of knowledge about the city suburbs - I know nothing about the North Shore or West and South Auckland though.

thank you so much! this is great. I checked on the web, but nothing is better than hearing it from the horses' mouth!

My partner's sister lives in Onehunga and I've had to drive her to the airport a couple times.

It took us like 20 mins (or maybe a little less) during non peak hours, I was really surprised it was that close, and it's pretty much direct from the centre to the motorway onto airport