Thread: Pet Grooming in New Zealand

Default Pet Grooming in New Zealand

I was wondering if anyone is or knows a pet groomer...it would be nice to hear how the business is run in NZ, and what kind of reputation groomers have there.
    Hubby will try for the IT job, and from what I've learned, extra income on my part may be more than helpful, so I'd like to find out as much as I can!
    Thanks,
    Ana

You do get grooming companies, our boarding kennels we use does it as part of the service, and inbetween times we take the stinky dog to "Soggy Doggies" (isn't that the best name ever!)

Not sure how they are run, but if it it helps, we pay $30 for a wash & blow dry sometimes a bit of a trim and toe nails cut.

He is not a pampered pooch, but as we cant keep him out of the lounge and off the couches when he is home alone, its better he does not stink!

"Soggy Doggies"
    I work at Rainin' Cats 'n' Dogs, I guess groomers have a worldwide sense of humor!
    So there are little "pet parlors" in NZ, as opposed to at the Vet or a kennel? I never saw one when we were there....LOTS of Catteries, though, maybe I could try one them, as I'm the only one who wants to work on kitties at my place, and I've gotten pretty good at it over the years.
    Ana

We saw a mobile dog groomers when we were last there.

It was a big white van with bath and grooming station on board. They simply pulled up outside someones house and the dog was brought out It was really popular and nearly every dog on the street seemed to be in there at some stage that day!

We also saw a dog washing bit on a car-wash forecourt!
    Last edited by Lisa T; 23rd September 2006 at 07:45 PM. Reason: spelling!

Took Bronnie, our Golden Retriever just down the road the other day to get clipped here in Waiuku.Lady did it from her shed in the front garden!!! Quite the norm over here!! She charged $50, which was n't too bad,used to pay at least that or more in the UK.
    I have seen the doggy mobile van going around,can't remember what it's called,just saw it the other day as well! think they just bath them in that,not sure about the clipping.
    Seems to be plenty of dogs over here,so it must be an ok business to get into.

The place we go is an industrial estate unit, usually frequented by little Maltese & poodles, our collie comes home with poodle fur on his paws! They all wander about together in the clipping/drying area, its like a little play date for him!!

They have two clipping tables set up and there are usually two staff in there. You also have to book about a week ahead, so it must be popular!

With regard to cats, my friend just got her persian done, but she took it to the vets, poor thing looked a bit weird for a week or two! (and yes she did have all the shaving and pussy jokes!)

If anyone can help me find a groomer "penpal", that would be great!
    Ana