Thread: Fitted wardrobes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fitted wardrobes

We have now sorted out the kitchen so now it is time to move to the bedroom ( Mind boggles)

On the whole do most houses in NZ have fitted wardrobes. I know some have walk in wardrobes. We would be intending to buy a fairly modern house.
    The reason I ask this is that we are probably selling our house to developers who will knock it down and put up retirement flats.
    It seems a shame to leave our wardrobes there as they will only be smashed up but there is no point bringing them if they are already fitted in NZ

Kindest regards

Dave and Caroline

Lots of houses do have fitted wardrobes, modern or not, but who knows where or what house you'll end up in?

Do you have room to fit them in your container, packed with other stuff? Are they special to you or can you sell them and buy new here IF you need to?

Bring them anyway, sell them on Trademe! If you have the space that is...

Most of the houses do have fitted wardrobes, especially the modern ones.

All three houses we've lived in here have had built in wardrobes. But as others have said, bring them if you've got room and put them on trademe if you don't end up using them.

On our many visits to open homes an estate agent once told us that a bedroom can not be called a bedroom unless it has a built in wardrobe!. Meaning the smallest room can be called a bedroom if it's got a wardrobe even if there's not much room for the bed. So most new homes will have wardrobes.

However, as someone who brought over 1 double and 4 single wardrobes, I'd say bring them if you've room in the container. We're renting a 50's house and there are built in wardrobes and cupboards but they are not that great so we've used them to store all our junk and kept the clothes etc in our own wardrobes. (even though one wardrobe is in the hall just storing shoes).

As Moorf and jubjub said you can always sell them over here, or adapt them to another use.

Karen

The house we rented when we first arrived did have built in wardrobes. The first house we bought didnt. The house we're in now does. Our rental house has them in one of the bedrooms but not in the 2 others. Guess there's no real rule of thumb on this one.

I would certainly advise you to bring them should you have the room. 2nd hand furniture over here fetches an arm and a leg - stupid prices .... how I wish I'd thrown away less in UK and brought it with us.

Diny

Older houses tend not to have built in wardrobes in NZ. More modern houses might have small ones. And expensive contemporary houses might have decent sized ones.

So the real questions are: what kind of house are you likely to get and how much stuff do you want to store?