Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotorua with a baby in tow....

Default Rotorua with a baby in tow....

Well we have bitten the bullet, and we are finally going to leave Auckland... only for a night though

We have booked ourselves into a hotel on the edge of Lake Rotorua, http://www.millenniumhotels.com/MCIL...n?opendocument

I am looking for bright ideas, I know about the action stuff, but with the little fella thats kind of off the menu for this visit (unless we sit and laugh at hubby doing something dangerous! )

A nice restaurant recommendation for a main meal would not go amiss either!

Ta...

I've a feeling this isn't gonna be much help unless someone can help me out with the name of the lake.

But you can do a nice genteel boat trip round the lake where the pink and white terraces used to be, on a little steam boat. There a really cool cafe at the lakeside too. It's in my paperwork somewhere, I'll hunt for it.

This looks good too http://www.skylineskyrides.co.nz/rotorua/ssr_gondola/ and I thought I read somewhere on here there is an all you can eat buffet at the top which was good. Maybe ruthyroo can help? please?

Then of course there all the dunking in the hot pools and walking round the geysers.

Smiler, think I found it, ta for the suggestion

http://www.waimangu.co.nz/boat.htm

No worries. That's it!

We nearly put an offer in for it as the boat business, cafe and a 3 bed house that was up for sale for about $350,00 around 18 months ago. Like we know anything about boats Maybe it has new owners now.

Better late than never.. yep the boat trip is a good one. It's on Lake Tarawera which is probably the most scenic of the Rotorua Lakes, and has great views of the volcano. Watch out for the hot water beach though - it's hard to get away from boiling water when you are standing in it! We used to live out at Tarawera and regularly kayaked from our house to the Landing Cafe for brunch of a weekend. The food there is excellent. While you are out there the Buried Village is another family friendly and easy access attraction (though you can't take the buggy on the steep waterfall walk), and has good cakes in the cafe. I'd also recommend Relish cafe in town for food. It's on the 'Streat" - the 'street' where you can 'eat'... ba-boom, doncha just love small town marketing!

If you are in town, you mght want to check out the Polynesian Spa. There is a childrens / family pool if the LO is up to bobbing in the warm water yet. And there's always the opportunity to leave your OH with him for some father-son bonding while you slip off for an Aix Massage in the spa next door...

Would also agree with the Skyline recommodation, it's a great way to see the city, the caldera and the views, and is not too expensive. Hey one night is just not enough!

Hell's Gate is a good, smaller, volcanic site, but I think I do prefer the Te Puia one, formerly Maori Arts & Craft centre. It's a pretty easy walk round and you also get to see everythign from mud pools to geysers to sulphur pits - and, if you time it right, a Maori cultural performance which is good fun.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by ruthyroo

If you are in town, you mght want to check out the Polynesian Spa. There is a childrens / family pool if the LO is up to bobbing in the warm water yet. And there's always the opportunity to leave your OH with him for some father-son bonding while you slip off for an Aix Massage in the spa next door...

Would also agree with the Skyline recommodation, it's a great way to see the city, the caldera and the views, and is not too expensive. Hey one night is just not enough!
    !
    Me too on both of those! We have eaten at the Skiline a few times now (you have to pay for the gondola ride up to the restaurant so that can add quite a bit to the bill - but you do then get to use your ticket for ride up there the next day without paying again. And the food really is quite nice (way better by spades than the Buffet in the Auckland Skytower).

If you are thinking about the Polynesian Spa For treatments - do book it in advance - they dont tend to have appointments free on the day. You can book through thier website. I highly recommend it!

Ta.

The gondola thing is a definite (they look big enough for his buggy!) we both love that kind of thing, and bub will too I reckon.

Our hotel is next to the spa, so will have a look at the website, not sure what we are doing about that yet, bub loves the water (and probably mud too if we can stop him eating it!)

I'd like to vouch for the Te Puia Park being on the list; there's a Maori Museum, a Maori woodcarving school where you can watch the students work and ask questions, geysers, boiling mud and thermal goings-on, several walking paths, Maori performances, and the best part (IMO), real kiwis! They are so cute!
    Ana

Hi

We live in Rotorua and a restaurant I would recommend is The Loan Star, very nice meals

Do make sure you go to Lake Tarawera it is one of my favourite spots, so peaceful and calm.

Try and get to Paradise Valley Wildlife Park, you can pat the lion cubs at a certain time, we havent done it yet but hopefully soon.

Have a good day.

Jules

There is a great area to go walking with Big Redwood trees. It is just on the edge of town but I don't remember the name. Ask at the i-site. I was pregnant last time we were there but I recall it would be friendly for your red pram! Have fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast