Thread: hypoallergic formula milk

Question hypoallergic formula milk

Just thinking about how much hypoallergic formula milk (non-soya milk for babies with milk allergy/intolance) i need to bring with me for my daughter. How hard and how long it is take to get us register with dr before able to get hypoallergic formula milk presciption? or would i able to buy from shop (i think unlikely)? What milk do nz have in stock apart from cow's milk? will i able to buy rice milk, oat milk etc?
    Sophia

You can get all manner of formulas over here, I know someone that has to have the special prescription milk, shame she is not coming to coffee group today, could have got more info for you, I seem to remember her saying its quite pricey, but I know she has health insurance, so not sure if that helps her or not.

As for going to a docs, you can go straight away, although they do ask for proof of your residency status, just take your passports along..

With regards to your daughters formula needs, I would ask your UK doc for copies of her notes, particularly the pages that relate to that, just in case they need them for any reason.

I would get a couple of months supply in case, and then you can change her over gradually it its a different brand that you get prescribed.

As for the other milks, I think Smiler is your woman for that..

Quote Originally Posted by nippa&pippa
    What milk do nz have in stock apart from cow's milk? will i able to buy rice milk, oat milk etc?
    Sophia
    I know nothing about baby formula, but you can get soy milk and rice milk in almost all large supermarkets. Oat milk is harder to source, but you can obtain it from health food shops. I know you're going to Christchurch, not Auckland, so I can't offer any recommendations on places sorry.

Default goat milk formula and eczema

hi all - just to add another question to this - my little girl has Nanny goat milk formula as it helps to keep her eczema at bay. I think that this brand might actually be from new zealand originally - has anyone seen it there? Also, anyone out there with kids that have eczema that have visited a doctor in new zealand - can they prescribe the usual steroid creams as doctors do in the Uk or do they lean towards more natural solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by the emery family
    hi all - just to add another question to this - my little girl has Nanny goat milk formula as it helps to keep her eczema at bay. I think that this brand might actually be from new zealand originally - has anyone seen it there? Also, anyone out there with kids that have eczema that have visited a doctor in new zealand - can they prescribe the usual steroid creams as doctors do in the Uk or do they lean towards more natural solutions?
    Thanks i forgot to ask about eczema cream too! I will see my dr this week to organise three months supply. Having see other post about MAF on shipping container as can't take all milk powder on the plane as too much weight, i will get a letter organise to cover all medications to be on safe side. Also letter to explain my children's allergies for dr in chch.

http://www2.everybody.co.nz/forum/ub....php?Cat=0&C=1

This is a great site to have a look at, will probably answer any questions about whats available here, and what the protocols are with treatments etc.

But from what I hear, exzema is treated the same here, in fact another of my coffee group buddies had to particularly stop her doc giving her steroid cream, becuase she was keen on pursuing more natural options first. We have something over here called Lucas Pawpaw ointment that is meant to be fabby dabby for both exzema and nappy rash...

Thank you very much , very useful website, bit similar website as UK's babyworld.com

Sophia

The only problem I've had is getting the low fat or lite version of some milks that hasn't been UHT'd to death. if you're not fussed about that you'll be fine.

Commonsense organics is based in welly but check out their website, it give you huge lists of available products www.commonsenseorganics.co.nz.

Also if you contact the companies direct, they are usually very informative and may well put you in touch with Brand Power ( I think that's right) who were incredibly helpful when I was searching. If on your search you do find low fat fresh goat's milk though, please let me know. You will be my new best friend.

Here's the Nanny goat stuff, emery family http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...article/2.html

HTH.

You can get powdered goat milk formula in the grocery stores no problem. My daughter is on Karicare Soy formula and they have a website and nutritionist on staff that will consult with you if need be. If you want it I can get you the website info.