Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening a NZ Bank Account from the UK

Default Opening a NZ Bank Account from the UK

How best do you open a NZ bank account while still in the UK?

Surely they will require credit references etc?

Regards

Glenn

We opened an account with ASB in London and transferred money out with them to migrant banking over here. Has worked a treat all sorted when we arrived, just looked at bank statements etc and sorted credit cards.

Would highly recomend them for helpfulness alone.

Michelle

I totally agree with Michelle, we opened and ASB account before we left UK and all our money was here waiting for us.

Did you guys exchange your money at the same time, or open a sterling account?? :?

we opened a sterling account and are doling it out like misers waiting for the exchange rate to buck up

We're beginning to wonder if the exchange rate WILL buck up, especially if there are further interest rates on the horizon :?

We just sent the money direct to our NZ Account we didn't like the idea of leaving our money in UK so took the consciquences on the exchange rate although I think we diodn't do too bad it has gone down since we arrived! :?

We transferred 15 000 over to tide us over buy a car, rental deposit etc, this I believe is the minimum at which you could get a decent bank rate. We have left all our house sale money and investments back in the UK, I am pretty damn cautious and if this all goes to a can of worms we can go back to the UK and pick up where we left of (ish) I dont want it to but I dont want to cancel everything transfer it all out here and then in a years time transfer it all back becuase things haven't worked out.

We didn't open a sterling account with ASB as the rates (negotiable but about 4.2 to 5 ish) were not as good as we could get on instant access in the Uk

Maybe you could say its not the right attitude but we did tie up most things but I'm not cancelling everything until we know this is gong to work and for us there is quite a large risk element. I suppose everyone has there own circumstances to consider.

Michelle

We didn't open a sterling account with ASB as the rates (negotiable but about 4.2 to 5 ish) were not as good as we could get on instant access in the Uk
    :eek What is the UK bank account??!! Best rate I've been able to get on a large sum with instant access is 3.75!

ING direct is 5% before tax and is instant access. It's a internet/phone account and need a uk bank account to transfer to and from

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast