Thread: A1 kitset homes

Default A1 kitset homes

Anyone used these people or anything similar or know anyone who has?

Try this site

http://www.buildyourdream.co.nz/forum/

I know there have been a couple of threads about A1

Margaret

We're just about to use them for the A255 although we're altering it quite a lot, adding a rumpus room to match the lounge and putting a granny annex in the garage

Paul Southey at the Greytown branch is fantastic and very helpful. We've looked at just about every kitset and contract build house and have found these to be the best value wise and plan wise. The only other house that has come close to what we would like is Golden Homes but they only contract build and we want to build ourselves (well OH's Dad does ). The house was also over our budget without extras, carpet curtains although A1 don't include these either.

So not much help in answering your question other than that the show home we saw and subsequent houses we've seen on the market are really very nice and good build quality

Hopefully some one on here has used them or lives in an A1 house can give their experiences.

mmm. A1 are interesting. Good prices anyway. Does anyone know how much it might cost for a builder to build one of these ? If for example you managed to build one of the 4 bedroom ones for around $70,000 what other expenses other than the plot are you likely to have to pay ?

cheers

mark

We have been told to at least double the kitset price for someone to build it.

You've got to have the concrete base done separately, drainage, curtains, carpets aren't included. Double glazing is an additional extra as is any extra windows, doors you want put in, internal painting.

Sure there's something I'm missing, having a bit of a blonde day today

yes, I thought as much. Still, a section for $140,000 and a house for $140,000 is still perhaps more cost effective than buying a ready made one that would not be as good. The house prices here in Nelson are high !

Thanks for your feedback, we're really considering it....I emailed them and for full contract it seems to be about 2.5x the cost of kitset alone. For example for the AK101 (a real no frills small 4 bed) he estimated about $125000 for a flat site without floor coverings. I think this is without the "base" and the drainage (about another $15K I think). This is a possibility for us as we are on quite a bitsy budget but would love to live out of town.

Thanks for the link to the build forum Margaret....lots of useful reading there!

Just received a quote from them for the A255 which is $98,135 basic, with all the options taken, stainless appliance upgrade, pink batts upgrade, tinting windows, adding new room and turning garage into homestay plus others comes to $37,305. So minimum total is $136,000, not bad hitting around the $300,000 mark which is our goal by the time the builders, plumbers, electricians have been through

It's definitely going to be cost effective for us. As OH's parents want to stay with us 6 months of the year we've found this the easiest way to go. Plus land is still reasonably cheap in Featherston compared to the Wellington. We're hoping at the end of this to have a very profitable house.