Thread: Saturday jobs for teens

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Saturday jobs for teens

Hi all, probably a dim question, but is there the same culture of teenagers getting saturday jobs in NZ as there is here? Does anyone know how old you have to be to get one? Imogen is 15, and most places in UK need you to be 16, so would like to check the situation in NZ.
    Thanks in advance,

gil

I think it it pretty much the same here for some kids to have a p/t job, we met a young bloke working in Bunnings that recognised our accents and infomed us that he had not been here that long himself. Also a story in the press over here about a teenager working in Pak n Save http://www.nzherald.co.nz/search/story.cfm?storyid=000BF4C9-0DF9-1515-BF0983027AF1010F, she is only 15.

Here is a bit of info from http://www.ers.dol.govt.nz/audienceinfo/employees.html#pay_minwage

What are the statutory minimum wage rates and when do they apply?

The Government reviews and sets minimum wages each year. These minimum wages apply to all types of employees, including part-time employees, casual employees, homeworkers, and employees who are paid by commission or on a piece-rate basis.

There are currently three different levels for the minimum wage, depending on your age and training levels.

The levels applying from 27 March 2006 are:

• Employees aged 18 and above = $10.25 per hour
    • Employees aged 16 or 17 = $8.20 per hour
    • Employees doing certain recognised industry training (of any age) = minimum training wage - $8.20 per hour - the same rate as the minimum youth wage.
    As these rates change regularly it is worth contacting the Employment Relations Infoline on 0800 20 90 20 to check on the current minimum wage.

You're a star Sal, thank you
    Gil
    x

Hi
    i,m a store manager in Tauranga. they can work from 14 after school,during holidays and weekends from 14 but they can only do the tills from 15. We have lots of kids that come straight from school for a few hours every day and weekends as do the big supermarkets like countdown and new world. My son is starting work today with me and as hes 14 he will get $8.20 per hour . he thinks hes won the lottery ,already planning how to spend it. hope this helps .
    Cardy

Just seen your reply Cardy, that's greast news! Thank you
    Gil