Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whangarei - distinctly rural feel

Default Whangarei - distinctly rural feel

Hi there
    We are looking at settling in the Whangarei area but schooling is going to be a consideration. We have a 15 yr old daughter who is passionate about her music. She is a soprano so would ideally look at somewhere that she could continue her voice training.
    We currently live in an area that is semi rural ie we have all the amenities that you would expect from a city but it has a distinctly rural feel with less traffic, crime etc. but are within easy reach 1 1/2 hours commute to a city. Looking for something similar.
    Any suggestions?
    Dalene

Hi there!

Sorry I have only just noticed this thread- there is life in Whangarei (honest!)

We have been here for 6 weeks now and so far would recommend it. The town itself is 45000 people with another 20000 in the surrounding rural area. We have lotsa big stores for everyday needs such as warehouse, bunnings, Farmers, pack n save etc, but the town is only about 3k X 8k land area, so easy to get around, although there is usually a 15min traffic jam around 5pm (one particular set of badly timed lights to blame) The areas within the town have local shops and supermarkets to. We went to Auckland yesterday for the first time and it is a 2hr trip along state highway 1 which is mostly single carrigeway but a steady 90/100kmhr except for some twisty hilly bits. You could easily do a day trip for stuff Whangarei doesent have (although so far the only reason to go there for us was for my wife's "gotta be silver" mazda mx5 with auto box but there are plenty of cars in Whangarei too)

Dunno about schools with music but there are a dozen primaries and 4/5 secondary schools and the poly here has music courses i think.

Your best link for info is the local council website- it has links for bus routes, schools, poly, etc www.wdc.govt.nz

Chris

Charlosparky , nice to hear you like it in Whangarei, we might be heading there in a couple of weks our selves to live. I heard you can get a lot of rain there? Whats it been like since you have lived there?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenday
    Charlosparky , nice to hear you like it in Whangarei, we might be heading there in a couple of weks our selves to live. I heard you can get a lot of rain there? Whats it been like since you have lived there?
    Well we have had some rain ere recently, but aaprt from a couple of full-time rainy days it is mostly hard showers followed by sunny spells- my kids said it's like god has a tap because it starts and stops so quickly- not gradual drizzle like th uk- but hey- winter here may prove me wrong. Personally i dont think you would notice an extra 300ml over the year compared to Auckland or wherever. hope you have a good trip- we would recommend Whangarei.

delighted to hear that it is not usually constant drizzle - like it is here where i am in the northern UK.

Like Syddee, I am focussed on getting something in the Whangarei area. I have a nice section ion mind in Kamo. But to get some ocean views, i am also interested in Waipu, Langs Beach, Parua Bay, and Bream Bay.

Anyone able to recommend any of the above? I did read somewhere a while back in a thread that Langs Beach is an awesome looking place. Anyone been there?

Smile

Yes,Langs Cove is Nice.It's about a 50 min drive from Whangarei.We go there quite a lot in Summer.It is a fast expanding area.There are lots of new subdivisions happening now.Lots of Jaffa's have holiday properties there so it can be quiet in winter and busy in summer.My sons girlfriend lives there and she's not that keen on it in summer,it gets noisy,much like many of the coastal settlements in N.Z. people just go there to 'Party'.Waipu is a pretty good well serviced town and also growing quickly.A halt has been put on further development there at the moment as the sewerage system cannot cope.They are expecting big rate hikes and higher development fees to pay for this.A new supermarket has just opened in Ruakaka and this is good for anyone settling out there as it saves the drive into town for shopping.Also Waipu Cove is a lovely spot for gathering pipi's,mussels if your'e quick and surfing,a nice Restaurant has just opened there and the store has had a revamp and gone a bit Delified.

many thanks for all this great guidance.......invaluable.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a 'jaffa'? I am assuming city folks.

Yes, i imagine it is maybe like here in some coastal areas i.e. dead in winter, due to so many of the properties being merely econd homes (for out of area people).

Waipu is an area that I fell in love with very quickly from pictures on realty sites. It and bream bay just look awesome.

If you had to select a lovely place in this area, where would it be?
    eg still affordable (thus maybe slightly rural), awesome ocean views, close to
    a decent sized town, maybe up and coming potential, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberries

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a 'jaffa'? I am assuming city folks.
    Yep. J.A.F.A Just another f*****g Aucklander

kiwis have a way with words eh?

Hi all there have been some interesting replies here. I am winging my way over there in the next few weeks for an LSD trip - Look See & Decide. Would love to meet with whoever is in the area. Get in touch with me via pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlosparky
    Yep. J.A.F.A Just another f*****g Aucklander

kiwis have a way with words eh?
    LOL!

Sounds like there is a bit of acrimony between rural folks and city folks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast