Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teenage Perspective

Default Teenage Perspective

Kia Ora people! I must say its all been interesting reading about the immigrant community in NZ. I'm a Cantabrian, born and bred and currently 17 years old (18 in Jan). Nehow, thought if anyone was interested, I could help answer questions regarding children/teenage age groups in Christchurch. What kids our age are like here Things to do, places to go in down-under-to-the-side.

So drop me a line at keskin_snape@hotmail.com for stuff and things.

Other than that... best high school without a doubt is Hagley Community college. Theres a HUGE international student population, covering over 30 nations. The schools population is about 2000 students, 17% being over the age of 19. So theres a large adult base which is great for mature and ecletic classrooms. Not to mention they're the only high-school in NZ offering entry level Psychology and Philosphy classes. Its right across the street from Hagley Park/Botanical Gardens and ten minutes walk from the center of town. lol, I talk to much. Hope I'm helpful in any case.

Thanks for your input Kevin,
    Unfortunately my sporg is 4 so maybe I'll be looking you up in 8 years or so.
    I do know that some of the forum mebers have kids that are teenage so I'm sure you'll be bombarded with questions

Thanks again
    love
    Linda xx

Well done Kestin

What agreat idea of yours to post on this forum and offer your help to any 'yongsters'.

Our boys are also still fairly young but I know that there are members who are emigrating with teenagers, I'm sure there'll be plenty of questions coming your way.

If you've got any friends up in the north island who could maybe offer the same help - that would be neat.

Welcome and good one you

Diny

Kestin,

what a great way to ensure that our image of helpful young teenagers in NZ is not just a fantasy.

My eldest is 9 and will be going to high school in 2 years so keep the info coming.

We aren't sure whether we will be locating in Christchurch but it is on our shortlist.

regards

Jo

ps you are a great artist, I've just checked out your website

kestin

have you any friends in auckland that know about auck schools and what auck teens do outside school? our 14 year old daughter is really furious about us moving.

by the way, good initiative on you!

lindsay's mum

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I'm glad that I've gotten a happy response :mrgreen:

Um... I don't know any teens in Auckland but I know some people on a CSI message board who live there, and may have teen relatives. In any case, I'll ask.
    I think on the whole, alot of teens all across NZ are similar. My school (well ex school since the year has ended now) it didn't have all that popular people crap that kids find important in earlier years.

Reading about peoples views of things in NZ, I've come to really appreciate what I've got here. Yes, the economy isn't that great, we have cold houses (but I just say toughen up!) lol and we don't have as much variety when it comes to products... but these things I don't really care about. Nor do the teens I prefer to hang out with. Kiwi's (on the whole) are very open-minded. Yes, there are very close-minded people but in the end... the marjority are easy-going. I walk around Christchurch and see a guy (who went to my school ) with a gigantic multi-coloured mohawk and my first thought is 'heh... cool, I wonder how much hairspray he uses?' and then I think nothing of it. From how I see others react, no one really bats an eye either. My advice for teens coming here, is to be open-minded, meet people, talk. We aren't a fast-food nation (we have too many fast-food outlets IMHO) we aren't into labels (though some are) We love to go Op-shopping (Op = Opportunity Shops/Second-hand clothing stores) the big things in fashion at the moment seem to be lacy, layery, grafitti kinda stuff. But anything goes. If you're comfortable with who you are and you don't try to push ideas on others... then you'll be jiffy.

Hell... I've got a friend who's a lesbian/feminist/anarchist/vegan/activist... and another who's a drama/film student communist and they get along just dandy

Again, I may be in a niche... but in my experience, I can happily talk to all people as long as they're polite. Speaking of polite, say 'Thanks' to the bus drivers when you get off the bus's :mrgreen:

I have to go to Auckland myself in about a years time to take the Freelance Art Course to be an animator, so I'm asking questions aswell.

Anywho... younger kids at the moment. Well my lil brother and sister are a little skitzo but thats just me talking lol... nah, um... they go to Spreydon Primary and its really good there. Got a massive field... actually all schools here have massive fields. They've got chances to do drama classes, art, sports and such. Theres always heaps of after-school programs. I did ballet from age 5 - 12. Homeschooling is a great option too, which I did from age 12 - 15. Theres a pretty good programs going for HS kids so theres no lack of interraction. I was always a quiet child and got picked on so school life wasn't as enjoyable as it could have been, but I lived happily enough. Neway, when I went to Hagley I had immense fun.

In any case, we have a big hip-hop community. aka Scribe, King Kapisi, Che Fu, Adeaze (sp?) et cetera and so theres all those Homey-G fellas that talk like "What up eah fella bro?"
    "Nuthin much eah bay."
    "Aw true bro?"

heh... theres the skanky girls, the scater boys, the trendy people, the goths, the punks, the hippies, the all in ones like me... I don't like boy-racers much. They say asian drivers are bad, but the worst are young men :

Well I've been talking far too long, hope I've been of some help... I'm mostly on the CSI message board www.yourtaxdollarsatwork.org where there are a few other kiwi's.

Ho hum... to Leslie's daughter... try to enjoy yourself! Is there anything particular you're miffed about?

Fads for 10 yr olds at the moment... boys are all into the anime's at the moment... um, cars, sports... the usual boy stuff. Course rugby, soccer, softball and cricket as sport of choice are the mains. Avril Lavigne is rather popular at the moment with the girls, barbie is looked down upon and bratz dolls are the in-thing lol. Can't say I'm dissapointed, its good to see the un-achieveable figure of Barbie being disowned.

Last bits and pieces... Ch-ch has a huge arts, culture and whatnot stuff all around. The new Art Gallery is beautiful, the Arts center down the road is awesome and its spring so everything is green and blooming.

A big teen hangout is Hack Circle in the triangle center. Its at the point between Cashel and High St. Most people know where it is.

Wow thats alot of words, and now heres the second ending

ETA: Thanks for the kudos on my drawings ops:

thanks kestin

lindsay grudgingly listened to your note, steam didn't come out her ears and she was decent all evening so that must be good. if you know any well-rounded 14/15 year-old girls desperate for a grumpy british pen-pal she might go for it...

i hope you keep up your 'blog' as there are probably lots of immig juniors who'd like to take part.

many thanks

leslie

Hi Leslie
    Just thought you might like to know that we have been here in Auckland nearly 3 months now and my 17 year old son absolutely loves it here!! He had made friends really quickly and is out and about with them all the time, at the beach, house parties etc. and he says he'd hate to go back to UK now. The kids here are really friendly and he has no problems settling in at all (Unfortunately, on the other hand, I am another story.....).

I really think your daughter will enjoy it here once she settles into school etc. Hope this helps to allay some worries..

thanks for your note - will show it to her, maybe! i know she will be v happy but it makes her no less upset. she watched billy c in nz with us last night - didn't make a single neg comment either. thats the funny thing - sometimes i think its the wait more than anything , she has never liked surprises. the unexpected delay with nzis hasn't helped - it means what was meant to be a 4-month wait has doubled. had we known we wouldn't have told her so soon.

your 17 year old must be in heaven. i cannot wait to get her out of this mess they call childhood.

::re-reads her last post:: Wow, I was all over the place wasn't I? Note to self, don't post when caffeine levels have bottomed out :cool

Neway, its good to hear things are okay... ooh heres some good places for shopping and nifty things

Cosmic Corner! Theres about 2 or 3 stores in Christchurch. Sells things like party lights, naughty games, mock t-shirts of popular logo's, certain... smoking equipment... posters, musical instruments, jewellery for every imaginable piercing et cetera.

Farmers and The Warehouse have great trendy clothes. Both are NZ's version of K-Mart and Wal-Mart, but better because... they're NZ.

Those places aren't that hard to miss... Scorpio Books on Hereford St is a great independant book store... I got my Tarot Cards from there
    More prominent book stores are Books n`More and Whitcouls.

Science Alive is great fun... Reading Cinema's are really really comfy with massive seats and huge as screens. Rialto deals mainly with Indie and alternative Films.

http://www.aliceinvideoland.co.nz/ Is THE best video hire. I can get over ten William Petersen films from there (I've been meaning too but you know... need money)

Ummm... though they're probably no where near as grand as other places, some public pools are really fun. Jelly Park is a fav of mine... yes it probably needs an overhaul but its all out in the open, they have sausage sizzles sometimes... theres a playground, hydroslides, diving boards... if your open, you can generally join in games with others there.

SPENCER PARK! Oh the childhood memories... when I was 4-5 I can remember going to the beach almost every day after school with my older Sister and Dad when it was warm. One time he used his keys to open up a shell and there was a baby crab inside, still alive. It became my sisters class pet and it lived in the fish tank.
    But yeah, Spencer Park is right by the beach and its great. Theres a budget mini-golf course but its fun and a massive wooden structure with tyre rope bridges, flying fox's, swings, ladders... its just cool. Theres heaps of mountain biking paths all around the city, skating parks and BMX biking tracks. I heard theres a field of magic mushrooms somewhere in Bottlelake Forrest lol

Available activities for fun is severly limited compared to other countries... but if you have the great D.I.Y attitude, you can have fun no matter what. Just pinpoint what you love to do (within legal reason) and find out how to do it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast