Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transformers: US to NZ

Default Transformers: US to NZ

Now that we are here in NZ we need to buy some step down transformers for our US appliances etc (I know we should have bought these before we left but we got a little busy and forgot-doh!). Anyone from the US found a supplier for these that they could recommend? We are in Auckland, so a local place would be great.

Thanks!

Amy.

Welcome to NZ! Glad to hear that you arrived safely. We found Dick Smith Electronics ones to work well for a decent price. Haven't fried any of our electronics yet, nor set the house on fire.

Thank you!

Hi there - I have found them also at the Warehouse and the Powerstore.

For DC items, I bought a bunch of AC/DC adapters at Dick Smith ($27-49NZD each depending on amperage), and they do have some lower-wattage step-down transformers there.

For our HDTV and A/V equipment (and the KitchenAid mixer) I bought 500w, 750w, and 1500w versions from the World Gift Center, as well as some low-wattage converters and adapter plugs, which I haven't seen any cheaper than $8-10NZD in stores here (maybe someone here in the Forum knows of a less-expensive source). However, I did this before we left the U.S., so I don't know what this company's shipping costs are to NZ.

There may be a local source for heavy-duty high-wattage step-down transformers here. I don't know of one, but maybe another Forum member can help out with that.

If you haven't read it already, this thread is an incredible source of helpful information.

Hey jo-and-jeff, how do you have your Kitchenaid set up? (It's the only electrinic I want to take )

~(and the KitchenAid mixer) I bought 500w, 750w, and 1500w versions from the World Gift Center, as well as some low-wattage converters and adapter plugs~

I'm only familiar w/ the plug adapter and a regulator(?) that came packaged together from Walmart; I'm not sure of the safest/best way to set it up NZ style.
    Thanks,
    Ana

Quote Originally Posted by Ana&Steve
    how do you have your Kitchenaid set up?
    It's 250w with a motor, so I've got it on a heavy-duty 500w step-down transformer.

We're really glad we kept it, since we would have gotten a pittance for it if we'd sold it in the U.S., and KAs are outrageously expensive down here.

Jo

I recommend using this transformer:

like that one JB!!

If you are coming from the US and have halfway decent kitchen appliances bring them. We have a toater oven, kitchen aid, cuisanart, hand blender, etc. that we use on a converter. We also use a US stereo, vacum cleaner, and various small things like a wireless router. All run just fine on a conveter and buying all of these things really add up.

Converters are much cheaper to buy in the US. If you are buying in NZ try trademe, you can get some good buys there.

Chris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast