Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qualified joiner,Wages,jobs?

Default Qualified joiner,Wages,jobs?

Hi,
    I am planning on moving to NZ from Scotland in feb/07 with my partner.I am 20 years old and will fully qualify as a joiner/carpenter in 6 weeks completing my 4 year apprentiship.
    What is the hourly pay rates for a joiner in the Hawks bay area? Also the average working week?

thanks in advance!

Hi Shaun,

Don't know about Hawkes bay but I have a building company in New Plymouth. Usual rate for skilled tradesmen are 20 - 22 / hour. and 44 hour weeks are normal. Carpenters are builders and joinery is considered to be a seperate trade hers but will pay a similar wage. You shouldn't find it too hard to get employment as builders and joiners are in demand.

cheers

Ian

Thanks for the reply.
    When you say a seperate trade do you mean that joiners get sub contracted to do the work?.

cheers!

In the UK it's combined and you can call your self a carpenter/joiner. By a seperate trade I mean that it's a seperate apprenticeship so here you either train as a Carpenter/Builder or a Joiner but not both.

Do you usually work in joiners shops or do you mostly do site work?

Why Hawkes bay do you have family or friends there?

Cheers

Ian

Yes my sister stays in Napier,
    I do site work,first fix,second fix,kitchens basicly everything from start to finish.Right now Im doing finishings in luxury penthouses,hardwood floors etc.I wouldnt work in a shop as I like outdoor work and dont like being stuck in one place to long,I like the fact that I could be doing somthing different every day and not just boring production.

cheers....

Hi again,
    I have the numbers of a couple of hawks bay companys.If I phone them what is the usual way to go about asking about work? who would I speek to.
    Over hear I would ask to speek to the contracts manager or company owner,
    Any advice would be apperciated.

Hi,

It's pretty much the same here as in the Uk for getting work the type of work you will probably end up with will be differant though. I would try to go with a small company if you can the larger ones don't tend to give you much variation in work. Smaller companies have to get everyone to do the job from start to finish which is what you realy need to get started here. There is plenty of work around fitting kitchens if thats what you like,most of them are purpose bnuilt no MFI here and so come ready assembled nice and easy to fit etc.

Best of Luck

Ian

Thanks very much for your help.
    Is there a market for starting up my own company with a van,the right advertising etc doing small contracts and jobbing?

Hi again,

You would realy need to get a job first and work for someone for a year as the rules are very differant over here. You would be expected to do a lot of things you were not familier with. But once you are confident you are experienced enough then yes there would be a market for setting up on your own jobbing etc.

Cheers
    Ian

WE also really fancy Napier and surrounds , any ideas what the situation is for plumbing work there (in the region)??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast