Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teenage drivers

Default Teenage drivers

Just had a thought, and boy that's hard for me! Have read somewhere on this forum, but just for a minute can't remember what it was under and who posted it. Now it doesn't matter as somebody maybe able to answer this.
    Teenage drivers: am i right in saying that a 15 year old has the opportunity to learn to drive a car at this age :eek i hope i am wrong, because i know we suffer in the UK from boy racers but surely this is putting more emphasis on the title of "BOY RACER".
    Please put me out of my misery as i don't think i can take my 12yr old tugging at me in 3 years asking can she go for a car licence, she can't even drive a car on a PS2.

Kim

I hate to have to tell you but the answer is YES, you can drive at 15. Having said that, the process involved in gaining a licence is quite lengthy and involves more than just a theory followed by a practical. It was detailed on this forum quite recently so you should find it with a search.
    By the way, I believe boy racers are known as "Hoons" in NZ, but have not got the foggiest why.

Yes in NZ fifteen year olds can get a licence. But I think there are a number of restrictions. They can not drive after a certain hour at night and they are not allowed to carry any passengers.

My eldest will be 15 by the time we get there and it is the main reason that he has agreed to go for.

Scary or what :?

I am hoping that the test is very strict.

evelynne_r
    Valued Member

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:22 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hiya,

I was exactly in the same position as your wife; when I lived in London I couldn't see the point in taking driving lessons. Where I work here in Wellington is out of town, meaning I had to get two busses, which was a pain. Good motivation for taking driving lessons! I have just recently gained my restricted licence, got a car and now drive to work.

Check out the following site for all the info:

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/licensing/index.html

I was on a work permit when I first started to learn, and it's no problem. Just take the necessary ID to the LTSA agent.

NZ has what they call a graduated driver training system. First you have to sit a multi choice theory test. If you pass that, you get a learner's licence, which allows you to learn to drive on the road with a supervisor, someone who has held a full licence for two years.

After six months, you can sit your first practical driving test. If you pass that, you earn your restricted licence - this allows you to drive on your own, but not between the hours of 10pm and 5am, and you're not allowed to carry passengers. (Family members do not count as passengers.)

Depending on your age, and whether or not you've taken a defensive driving course, between three and 18 months later you can sit your final practical test. If you pass that you get your full licence and can drive at any time and take passengers.

Hope this helps. As I've been through it, feel free to PM me with any more questions.

Good luck

CAMBRIDGE NEAR HAMILTON NEW ZEALAND(LOVELY PLACE)

ONE THING WE NOTICED WHEN WE WERE IN NZ LAST YEAR IS THE NUMBER OF BOY RACER CARS ON THE STREETS IN THE EVENING,,THERE IS NOT A VERY GOOD PUBLIC TRANSPORT SYSTEM SO ALL THE KIDS DO HAVE CARS AND THEY ALL SEEM TO DRIVE WITH THEIR FRONT FOG LIGHTS ON AT ALL TIMES

:eek :eek :eek :eek :eek what more can i say. Do you think they will take to GIRL RACERS!!!!!!

"ALL THE KIDS DO HAVE CARS AND THEY ALL SEEM TO DRIVE WITH THEIR FRONT FOG LIGHTS ON AT ALL TIMES"

So i see nothing changes the world over, how do the :booby take to driving with fogs on as it is an offence to actually do this. I know the :booby here don't jump on it, but hearing the :booby are keen over there i was just wondering.

Getting back to 15 yr old drivers anybody bumps into my eldest don't tell her this info...............

We used to think the same.......15!!! got to be joking!!
    However...
    yes the process of full licencing is lengthy and strict.....
    And when you think about it.....under the UK rules, someone can learn to drive with a few lessons...pass their test and be out on the motorway (where they havent exactly had a HUGE amount of experience if any) within weeks).
    Dont know about you but I didnt really fully learn to drive until I was behind the wheel myself gaining experience - which is exactly what this system offers.
    Yes - there are hoons loons and even goons!
    Dont see many around where we live though........
    I suppose it's like everything.......depends where you live.

lyndon, got to take you up on the issue of public transport. Christchurch has a good public transport system and even runs special 'drinkers' buses late/thru the night on a Friday and Saturday night every half hour to help cut down the party driving.
    The boy racers are here not because of the lack of transport but because its what they want to do. and the ones doing it aren't neccessarily the youngest ones.

Just to add a small comment onto Veronica's posting. When I was staying with our best man and his wife in Auckland back in April, I was introduced to an old friend of theirs.

She lives down in Taupo but likes to get up to Auckland at least 3 or 4 times a year.

I presumed it was the shopping she visited for, or the the theatres etc.

No - she drove up each time in her souped up V8 so she could go cruising with the hoons.

I'm 41 and this woman looked old enough to be my mum !!!!

Old woman racer !!!

Diny

Now I dont want to sound like a whinging old pom (Im only 36) but I can honestly say that I was shocked at the amount of Boy Racers/Hoons that there are in Chch. Any one that disagree's just has to take a stroll along Sumner front on any given Sunday Afternoon. If I'd paid a seven digit price tag for a nice section of real estate to enjoy in my retirement along the Esplenade then Id probably being running for the Hills every Sunday crying into the latest edition of 'The Realtor'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast