Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What ONE food item do you miss most?

Question What ONE food item do you miss most?

Ok, here's another sort-of poll for the lucky forumites who've already made it to New Zealand. What is the ONE food item you miss most that was available in your home country but not in NZ (or at least not in the form you recognise)? It can be very specific, e.g. Heinz baked beans, or general - such as an edible sausage! But you can only pick one...

Being from the UK, I'm mainly thinking about UK items, but anyone else can join in. It will be interesting to see if any patterns form, and at least the rest of us will know what to stock up on in gallons!

Thanks,

Debbie

Me - curry

Hubby - No added sugar alpen

Green tomatillo salsa also know as salsa verde. Kiwi salsa verde is more like pesto not mexican salsa verde. I actually had some shipped to me! A bit indulgent but my step-mother was more than happy to do it.

Curry for me too....especially Chinese Take-away curry without a ton of broccoli and cauliflower in it!

Decent veggie burgers and veggie dogs... Oh for Morningstar Farms!!!

Oh gosh - just one!

I'll do one for each of us - is that cheating?

Hubby - decent Indian food
    Children - ready brek
    Me - decent free range corn fed chicken (they do one here but it's not the same and very small too!)

Louise

Mine changes weekly but at the moment I really miss sandwiches / rolls that don't all have a slice of vinagery beetroot (soaking into the bread and turning it pink), a handfull of cress, a dollop of yucky egg mayo and a dollop of cheese savoury as well as all the actual fillings that you want. Picky I know. I miss decent sandwhich bars with freshly baked baguettes and the exact filling of your choice (and not flippin Subway yuk yuk)...

I find the curries okay, but the chinese takeaways are not - we've had maybe 1 in 2.5 years. And Thai has been really disappointing - expensive, insipid and dull. I know it's an unfair comaprison to make but the chinese / thai / indian takeaway food of Sydney blows most NZ offerings out of the water - Dunners seemed very dull for eating out after that Sydney holiday.

Oh oh I just realised my main missed food - proper chips actually made from cut up potatoes rather than fried frozen ones!! NZ fush and chups will never even come close to beating Scottish ones unless they include 'proper' chips!

Nott hat I am greedy and food obsessed but just had to break the rules (sorry Debs) and add another one...

Decent cheese. For a country that has so much dairy production (and growing) NZ has a really disappointing cheese selection. Maybe it's becuase I am used to eating a lot of European (smelly) cheeses but I find NZ cheese almost uniformly boring and dull. TBH the best ones have been the 'Vintage' blocks of cheddar type in the superkarkets, but virtually all the 'speciality' type cheese have been disapointing. The prohibition on raw milk is part of the problem - hopefully the FSA will soon uplift this restriction and allow NZ cheesemakers to try their hand at something a bit more interesting. Best one so far - sheeps cheese from the Dunedin farmer's market (blue stall in the corner next to the station building) - fantastic feta, pecorino, soft white and blue cheeses. More of this please!

original powdered bisto. everyone who comes out to visit has to bring a packet.

They have bisto here but its not the same.

and on the subject of inedible sausages I have found one type, beef, bacon and tomato that can be rendered edible by stripping off the skin and frying it like a pattie.

Well as Ruthroo broke the rules so will I

I agree with the freshly made sandwiches - you just don't get them here!

Cheese here is very expensive and bland

I miss good quality meat - even Tesco's meat is better than what I've eaten here (with the exception of beef)

I miss being able to go and buy a decent cheescake, gateau, cake..... that isn't overpriced, full of crap cream and overly sweet - although i could learn to bake I suppose

Marmite - they did sell it in New World (called Our Mate but the same) but it seems to have disappeared from the shelves.

I also prefer the 'proper' chips in the UK and don't rate the fush and chups here at all.

I'll be back with more as they occur to me!!!

Louise

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast