Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: when to open bank account?

So can you then tranfers money by simply giving an assignment to the bank? Or even better, by yourself?
    I'll have to check what's possible with the NB here in Belgium though, might be different from the UK.
    Thanks anyway.

You can open a National bank account in NZ by phoning a free number.
    Get info from: http://www.nationalbank.co.nz/person.../residents.htm

No NZ address is needed. You need to transfer a minimum of $3000 just before you arrive. Process takes about 15minutes and you get the account number and swift number immediately.

Johnnybravo - that's great news!!! There was me faffing around with getting certified copies of passports & you can do it over the phone!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo
    You can open a National bank account in NZ by phoning a free number.
    Get info from: http://www.nationalbank.co.nz/person.../residents.htm

No NZ address is needed. You need to transfer a minimum of $3000 just before you arrive. Process takes about 15minutes and you get the account number and swift number immediately.
    This is awesome, I made a list of things we need to do before we arrive and that includes fund transfering/banking on top of the list. And lookahere... smack on the bottom.

thank you Johnny.. Bravo indeed.

We opened a bank account with HSBC in NZ last year had no problems....we keep sending money over from the UK.

Hi All

We opened an account with ASB Bank (very helpfull people), it took us all of 10 minutes. Walked in asked to open a current account, no problem, just had to show them our passports. At the time we were in a motel, they took that address and when we moved into our rental just notified them of our change of address, then transfered some money over from the UK. They sorted out our contents insurance and also our car insurance, would definately recommend ASB

Jules

Originally from Malaysia, in Wellington since May 2005

I have an HSBC Offshore account with an ATM card. It works well in most parts of the world. I know you can use them at any HSBC ATM machines anywhere in the world for free but for a fee at Plus network machines.

The HSBC Website says that in NZ, they are only represented in the Auckland area. Does anyone know if HSBC in NZ has a tie up with any local banks and if you can use the HSBC ATM cards at machines in Christchurch?

Thanks
    Shagen

Hi,

Westpac will allow you to open an account as long as you have proof of address. The address can be a Hotel, Apartments or whatever.
    There will be a minimum deposit required (not sure how much - I can check it out) but it only takes 10 mins to complete.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12