Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing plugs - recommend a good electrican in Wellington

Default Changing plugs - recommend a good electrican in Wellington

Folks,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good electrican in Wellington. Basically we were thinking of getting one to come to change all of our plugs from Euro plugs -> NZ plugs.

Or better yet have many of you done this yourselves and if so how difficult was it? Anyone got a link or manual handy?

Many thanks in advance once again....

Cheers
    Starkhorn

Pete did all ours, no problems at all, but that was from UK plugs. I can't really see it would be very different to European ones. the other thing that a lot of people have done is to buy, before leaving home, several of the extension multi sockets with 4 or 5 sockets on the board (can't think what they are called) and just change the plug on that.

Chris did all ours too, I'll ask him about the wire colours, etc and let you know.

We brought a few multi sockets with us and changed the plugs on those, but in the end, we decided to change all the plugs to NZ plugs.

I'll ask Chris for tips on wire colours, etc and get back to you.

We did all ours from UK to NZ too. Bought out Bunnings whole stock several times.

The side entry ones can be a bit fiddly, but once you've done a couple you speed up a bit.

This is a bit long but may help. http://www.ess.govt.nz/safety/pdf/A_...lectricity.pdf

We did all ours - I wouldn't waste the money getting an electrician to do it - its very straight-forward.

Thanks for the link Smiler

I'm not sure if this is true (and I can hardly believe it given the Kiwi DIY spirit) but I read that it is illegal for New Zealanders to do their own home electrics beyond anything simple like changing a fuse. Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam'n'Kelv
    I'm not sure if this is true (and I can hardly believe it given the Kiwi DIY spirit) but I read that it is illegal for New Zealanders to do their own home electrics beyond anything simple like changing a fuse. Is this true?
    You can do a little bit more than that:-

http://www.consumerbuild.org.nz/publ...electrical.php

That's a pretty good list of things that you are allowed to do. I've always done my own electrics (despite being totally untrained). I learned everything off my dad, who learned it off his. It's a relief that I won't be prosecuted for having a go at things myself. Thanks for the link.
    Last edited by Sam'n'Kelv; 12th November 2006 at 05:49 AM.

Great links those, thanks guys!

So, basically you can do everything in NZ what you can do in UK by the looks of it. Anything major has to be tested by a certified electrician, and anything supply side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast