Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miramar, Wellington

Default Miramar, Wellington

I was wondering do any Wellingtonians know anything about this suburb? Myself and my partner just scored a rental there..He's up there, Im still in Christchurch so it would be good to have some info about the place

TIA

Hi just seen this post - well Miramar is a very up & coming area since that's where Peter Jackson has his studios & seems to be expanding at a rate of knots! & people involved in the movie industry have tended in recent years to emigrate there from overseas because of the jobs in Weta Workshop (also there) & with Jackson. Couple of nice garden centres there, short drive to the beach (Scorching Bay - Choccie Fish Cafe - v. nice!!) flat sections mostly (unless you're in the hills above) The flat areas have been known to flood a few years ago - so check out the street you're going to be living in. I belive there's also a good Greek restaurant as well as other places to eat out. I'd say its not a bad suburb - you're not far to the city, but far enough away to forget its just round the corner.

Hi
    Miramar is a good suburb but i would find out exactly where the property is as the airport is there and some roads benifit from an early alarm in the form of a 737 taking off at about 6.30am, although you get used to it after a few weeks.
    Brian and Jan

Ellen

I may be a bit late in replying but here goes.

We lived in Miramar for our 1st eight months here. It really suited us as OH worked in town and it was 10-15 mins on the bike or 25 by bus, $25 by taxi. We were on Miramar Heights, sounds posh but very quiet neighbourhood.

Like Sarah says there's the CF round the corner, a brand new New World, a bakery and the best fish and chip shop in Park Road. There also a library and several doctors and a big Pak and Save and Countdown/Woolworths in Kilbirnie.

We were on the Welly side of Cobham Ave from the airport, eye level with the pilots and after the first 2 days didn't notice the airport noise at all. In fact we noticed ore the lack of it when they closed the airport. We chose Miramar because OH was travelling too and we wanted close to CBD and airport.

You can get some good rentals when all the Weta people leave for the next job.

If you need any more info please feel free to PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brijan
    Hi
    Miramar is a good suburb but i would find out exactly where the property is as the airport is there and some roads benifit from an early alarm in the form of a 737 taking off at about 6.30am, although you get used to it after a few weeks.
    Brian and Jan
    thanks for replying..
    we've now been in our place for nearly a week and havent found the plane noise bad at all actually..sometimes its hard to tell a plane from the wind!! though just now what sounded like a 737 came over the hills and i heard everything!!

Quote Originally Posted by smiler
    Ellen

I may be a bit late in replying but here goes.

We lived in Miramar for our 1st eight months here. It really suited us as OH worked in town and it was 10-15 mins on the bike or 25 by bus, $25 by taxi. We were on Miramar Heights, sounds posh but very quiet neighbourhood.

Like Sarah says there's the CF round the corner, a brand new New World, a bakery and the best fish and chip shop in Park Road. There also a library and several doctors and a big Pak and Save and Countdown/Woolworths in Kilbirnie.

We were on the Welly side of Cobham Ave from the airport, eye level with the pilots and after the first 2 days didn't notice the airport noise at all. In fact we noticed ore the lack of it when they closed the airport. We chose Miramar because OH was travelling too and we wanted close to CBD and airport.

You can get some good rentals when all the Weta people leave for the next job.

If you need any more info please feel free to PM me.
    hi, thanks for replying
    we've been here a week now (we live off a street right at the end of miramar ave, up a small but very steep hill!!!) and totally dont hear the noise now, apart from at night sometimes when i dont have the radio/tv on. have to say i wish that paknsave was here not in kilbirnie (ive always found NW a bit expensive for my liking)but we went over today and it was such a quick trip.
    my partner walked to the airport when he first came up to do viewings and it took him 20minutes..its going to be so handy when we get visitors coming.found it quite funny driving along the end of the motorway at one point!!!

you wouldnt mind giving me the name of the chippy on park road? seeing as its friday tomorrow and i havent had a takeaway in yonks

Ellen

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

It could be Seafood Plus, drive up Park Road from the roundabout at Miramar Ave. It's not at the shops on the begining of the street (that one's not nice) but further up on the right, on a junction with a dairy next door. It's a double fronted shop with a couple of tables and chairs inside.

There's also a chinese restaurant on Park Road, nearly opposite the chippie, avoid it.

There's also a good chippie in Kilbirnie, opposite the woman's gym.

At both you can ring your order in advance and cruise by and collect it.
    Last edited by Smiler; 17th November 2006 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smiler
    Ellen

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

It could be Seafood Plus, drive up Park Road from the roundabout at Miramar Ave. It's not at the shops on the begining of the street (that one's not nice) but further up on the right, on a junction with a dairy next door. It's a double fronted shop with a couple of tables and chairs inside.

There's also a chinese restaurant on Park Road, nearly opposite the chippie, avoid it.

There's also a good chippie in Kilbirnie, opposite the woman's gym.

At both you can ring your order in advance and cruise by and collect it.
    thanks for that,fish n chips can be a bit hit and miss on occasion so tis good to get a recommendation..we'll be trying it out sometime soon im sure.loving that i can ring in then pop down and pick it up straight away!also noted are the places to avoid

No worries. I just thought of somewhere else too, apart from the Chocolate Fish.

Two cafe's that are very nice; the Chocolate Frog which is in the Palmers Garden centre opposite NW, their friand's (sp) are gorgeous and I used to go in and get a takeaway wrap for lunch sometimes, does get busy in there though like the C Fish.

There's Elements, which is on the road to Lyall Bay from Kilbirnie, just go straight past the Kilbirnie bus garage and it's about 1km or so on the right, on a road junction.

Also there is The Bach which is round the bays, just follow Lyall bay out towards Houghton Bay, Island Bay, Owhiro Bay etc and you'll come across it on the right hand side near the big dive shop. It's nice to sit outside but the food can be a bit hit and miss.

I promise I did do something other than eat my way round the bays

If you don't want to go into town for the Warehouse, Briscoes, Dick Smith etc, they are all out behind the airport at Lyall Bay.

There is also a fish and chip shop called Alasia near the BP service station in the little recessed shopping area by the bottle store.

I agree with all Smilers recommendations, often pop into Elements at weekends for lunch, although never been to The Bach

Enjoy the takeawy
    Brian and Jan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast