Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mosquitos, sand flies and wetas OH MY

Default mosquitos, sand flies and wetas OH MY

considering the prevalence of flying biting bugs (weta exluded)
    I have been looking into mosquito abatement and traps.

In the U.S there are a few top end models @$400-$600. a pop that will rid mosquitos up to an area of near a 1/2 acre.

The,"mosquito deleto" uses propane to release carbon dioxide-what we breath out- coupled with small amounts of heat. This device sits near a vacuum that you keep plugged in 24/7.

Bugs think they see a warm human, fly by for a quick bite,and get sucked up

Anything like this in N.Z. They make cheaper models $150 U.S but they require replacement parts every 2 months or so. I would rather have the vacuum type as it appears to be highly effective.

Default Mozzies and sandflies

I had to laugh at you.....the mozzies in Aotearoa are not that bad!! we live in the warmest town, Kaitaia, and I do not know of anyone who uses any form of mozzie repellant. The only exception is when camping in the open when citranella is the best. Sandflies are also only a problem near the beach, and if you don't use a common-or-garden variety insect repellent!
    Bliksembokkie

I was recommended Avon's Woodland Skin So Soft, and it seems to work a treat. I think it contains citronella as a main ingredient? And it's much cheaper than the oodgimiflopsit gadet!

Hi, justin,

I've never seen a Mosquito-Deleto, but I think I have to have one -- if only to explain to other people what it is:

Unsuspecting visitor: "What's THAT??"

Me, smugly: "Oh, that's our Mosquito-Deleto."

Unsuspecting visitor: "What the...?"

I must admit to being a total bug wuss. I hate flying, sucking, biting, stinging, crawling critters. I can live with most everything else about NZ, but the bug situation has me worried. Spiders don't much bother me as they are essentially reclusive and eat lots of other nasty insects. But ticks, mosquitos, centipedes, cockroaches and sandflies are high on my list of Things to Obliterate from the Face of the Planet.

An insider tip to fellow forum members: Buy Avon stock. My supply of Skin So Soft will tip the balance in your favor!!

Would love to hear bug experiences of those already in NZ, so I know what to expect. Really. Go ahead; curl my toes.

Already shuddering, Rae

Skin So Soft just doesn't cut it, not when I'm listed as a 3-star restaurant in the insect world's Michelin guide. Deep Woods Off slows them down a bit. However, the last time I used it, I sprayed my legs and arms quite thoroughly. No bug bites there! Instead, they bit my (completely clothing-covered) stomach and hip.

I hate biting bugs.

Not many NZers coming up with sand fly stories. I dont think they are to bad in the north Island and they aren't a problem in the east coast of the south Island but boy do they like to live on the West coast around Milford Sound. while its not a place many would choose to reside in its a place many of you may visit so be aware. They bite like fury to the extent that a friend who used to work there used to have to wear a hat with a veil and be completely covered up at certain times of the year.

Default Take heart Raeven

My main motivation for coming to New Zealand was its relative lack of creapy crawlies, and I have not been disappointed. I have yet to see cockcroaches or centipedes, or ticks for that matter. The only things that drive me round the bend are blowflies when I cook cabbage! So take heart, this land is relatively bug free.
    Bliksembokkie

What are blowflies? I cook a lot of Asian veggies related to cabbage...

Default Blowflies

Relax....
    they're just big noisy houseflies!

Skin so soft is great, go for the layering, shower in it, moisturise with it and top up with the dry oil. Must be the woodland fresh version though. If it can fight the bugs in the Dominican Republic it must be good.

Worse thing in NZ is ants EVERYWHERE.

Michelle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast