Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joiners jobs in New Zealand

Default Joiners jobs in New Zealand

Hi, my husband is a qualified joiner with 24 years experience.
    We hope to be able to apply for working visa once he is able to get a job offer

Can anyone offer any advice on how we ould get a job for him ? I have applied to recruitment agencies but they want him to come over to meet in person

Help ?

Sharon

Book a flight over here & book agencies/construction co's appointments. Noone will discuss seriously (unless you know them from previous jobs you have done) until you're on Kiwi soil. OH is a QS in construction & noone would speak to him until we got here on a reccy trip. He went for 1 interview (well a chat over coffee) for less than an hour & came back with a job offer - the rest is history. Its well worth the money for the flight - you get to see where you'd like to live & hopefully go home with a job offer - 3 of partners friends have done the same & are all living here now with jobs in the construction industry...

Anyone with a trade - plumbing, electrician, joiner etc. are in big demand in Welly - there are a lot of construction jobs going on but if you think about it would you offer someone a job on the other side of the world without meeting them? I know I wouldn't. Also helps with job offer to get Permanent Residency - because of the job OH was in we had PR within 5 working days of sending final application in - made things easier with bank a/cs, mortgage & credit cards, education, bringing our sea container & not paying tax on our possessions etc. when we got here.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

When we were out there on holiday last year OH went to see some firms and he was told come back when you arrive to live here. Loads of work but no interest in him applying from the UK.

I must have been lucky then, as I googled google.co.nz 'building surveyors' (being one) and a couple of clicks later found the New Zealand Institute of Building Surveyors. I sent in an email with a CV summary and a few days later received an email from a company in Auckland. Fortunately, the directors are British and one of them came over in June. We had the interview over lunch (which he paid for). The job offer arrived a few weeks after that.

I was fortunate that one of the directors was coming back to visit the UK, or else I would have had to visit NZ. Any interview done over the phone is difficult and face to face is preferred, even in NZ.

If you do visit, then I recommend that you try and tee up as many appointments as you can manage. However, use google.co.nz, it worked for me.

I hope that

It seems that eveyone suggests going over to NZ, unfortunately funds dont stretch that far at mo - hubby lost his job five weeks ago!!
    Can anyone suggest anything else we can do ???
    Sharon

There are only a couple of things I can suggest... one is to go to one of the shows in the UK at Earls Court etc. on emmigrating to NZ - there may (depends on the particular show) be people there looking for workers who can arrange teleconferences from an office in London etc., or have a look at construction magazines (there are ads for jobs in NZ in some but I'm not sure if they are advertising for Joiners or not).

Really, unfortunately, your best bet is for your hubby to come over. The only other thing is to make the decision to move over, sell up and all fly out to NZ to start your new life (I know plenty of people who have done this) - turn up on tourist visas & look for a job when he gets here - it won't take long to get one in his industry providing you go to the major cities & as soon as he gets a job offer he can get work visa & you can apply for residence at your leisure.

Thanks Sarah.
    You are a mind of info!

Do you kow how it works with tourist visas ? Our understanding is that they are not for a long period of time and worried that we may not be able to get working visas whilst out there ?

We had a load of info through today from New Zealand House in London, its so mind boggling, I dont know where to start.

I look forward to any help you can give and hope you done mind me asking further questions.

In the meantime iwill search Earls Court ....
    Sharon
    x

If coming from UK your tourist visa is valid for 6 months from when you arrive - loads of time for Hubby to get a job! He can get a work visa same day he gets a job offer (or within a couple of days at the most) if you're in Welly (NZIS office is here - otherwise I think you have to send off if you live anywhere else in NZ via courier).

Good luck!! Fingers crossed for you!

Ooh forgot to say - its quite normal for people to come out on Tourist Visas & get a job offer whilst out here - I've got loads of friends who are now residents & citizens who did it...

Sarah

Do you have to be a specific age for this type of visa ? Steven is 41 and we thought we may be limited to type he can apply for ?

Sharon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast