Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommended Reading?

hiya, Moorf I have to agree with your brother in principle, but they are good places for getting information you can then confirm for yourself.

I have to say that, to my cost, I put a little too much faith in a so called expert. This was in the form of a visa agent, with our personal case officer being a born and bred New Zealander.
    An awfull lot of the information that came directly from this source, and therefore from my point of view was pretty well un-questionable, turned out to be at best a little mis-leading and at worse just plain wrong.
    For this reason, I have more faith and trust in the good souls here than I do in officialdom (Jamie Smith being an exception).

Timbo when I said confirm I meant with NZIS. (although the answers from different people there seem to vary).
    You do know the defination of an expert don't you:
    X is an unknown quantity
    spurt is a drip under pressure.
    For some reason that would make me very hesitant to say I was an expert anything (I'm not anyway so perhaps its sour grapes)

A drip under pressure describes me having a bad day at work.

There are at least a couple of books called "Liviing and working in New Zealand". I recommend the one subtitled "A Survival Guide" by Mark Hempshell. Very, very good - the best book on NZ lifestyle I've seen so far.

Do not touch "Living and Working in New Zealand" by Joy Murihead. The 5th Edition even though it was published in 2002 is very out of date - they even still think the National Party is in power. *

Rgds.,
    Nick.

For a good (and current) first-person account of an American who moved to NZ, I'd recommend Slipping into Paradise: Why I Live in New Zealand by Jeffrey Masson. This isn't so much as guide on how to migrate, but rather the author's personal declaration of love for his new country, with lots of good info on history, culture, nature, and everyday life in NZ. Sometimes his style can get a bit too overbearing and lecturing ("I, the American intellectual"), but overall I found it quick read and good introduction to Kiwi country and culture.

I'd like to recommend Culture Shock New Zealand: A Guide to Customs and Etiquette (http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/bibli...7-155868784x-0) This book has been a great supplement to forums and online reading. This book is written by an immigrant (albeit a 40-year resident) who has some solid advice (well, I hope it is) for avoiding the shock of the unfamiliar.

Also, there are intermittent and uneven but often good posts at www.escapeartist.com. Search on "New Zealand" and you'll find impressions from recent emigres.

Default booked,

For a good (and current) first-person account of an American who moved to NZ, I'd recommend Slipping into Paradise: Why I Live in New Zealand by Jeffrey Masson (Amazon US link). This isn't so much as guide on how to migrate, but rather the author's personal declaration of love for his new country, with lots of good info on history, culture, nature, and everyday life in NZ.
    I hated this book, and would advise people to aviod. He writes an entire chapter about what's wrong with other countries, including one about why he didn't like Germany because of the Nazi death camps :eek

Quote Originally Posted by foolsgold99
    For a good (and current) first-person account of an American who moved to NZ, I'd recommend Slipping into Paradise: Why I Live in New Zealand by Jeffrey Masson (Amazon US link). This isn't so much as guide on how to migrate, but rather the author's personal declaration of love for his new country, with lots of good info on history, culture, nature, and everyday life in NZ.
    I hated this book, and would advise people to aviod. He writes an entire chapter about what's wrong with other countries, including one about why he didn't like Germany because of the Nazi death camps :eek
    Totally agree here I am half way throught this book and it is so depressing. Interesting for good background to NZ culture, racial issues, flora and fauna. A good one for getting rid of rose tinted glasses. There are some very funny passages that I feel are maybe not meant to be funny. Especially his comments on how refreshing "the chopping tall poppy syndrome" is, while telling the readers how differen he ist from the average Kiwi and how intellectual he is. I would not recommend you buy this book, but if the local library has a copy, have a dip into it and take the facts you need from it.

Apologies to those of you out there who perhaps enjoyed this book, everyone is different and this is only my personal view point.

Nicola

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12