Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Reading?

Default Recommended Reading?

Of course, now we are here the whole family and band of friends wants to move... we are being asked to recommend a book but we didn't use one ops: so I wonder if you guys can give me some pointers to info that you used when making decision to move here (or even just for general info).

I guess they don't need a book as such, any references really will do!

I already told them about this site before you ask!!

Moorf

I am currently reading through "Going to live in New Zealand" by Mary Neilson and Mathew Collins (www.howtobooks.co.uk) and I have Paul Goddard's book (from Tv series "Get a New Life" on my Xmas list!

The first book is quite factual with its information and published in 2004 so upto date at the mo with most of its info

Personally I think this and other forums give almost 100% of the info you need if you ask the right questions!

Regards

Paul

Paul,

How UK-centric is that book? 276 pages sure sound like some good information, however if it deals only with UK issues then I don't know if it would help me over here in the States. If it is good general purpose information, I found a "stateside" link for it: http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/bibli...039653;;slnc=1

--Stephen

Hi Stephen

I would say the book has a enough generic info in it to be of interest to anyone looking to go to NZ, for instance it covers driving, rental properties, cost of living, education, tax and a number of other chapters including outlining the whole immigration process.

As I say there is probably not too much here that you couldn't find on the internet for free BUT it is sometimes useful to have all the info in one handy book!

You can also order it through www.amazon.com

Go on put it on your Christmas list!

Paul

I bought the NZ Immigration and Relocation Report developed by NuKiwi (http://www.nukiwi.com/299t7mFw.htm) several months ago. After finally reading it (it's an online book) last week, I think it's worthy of a recommendation. It discusses everything from the EOI process to, oh, driving in NZ and other life-in-NZ issues.

And Stephen, it worked well for me as a US citizen; I think the writers are very mindful that their audience can be coming from anywhere.

-Dan

Hi Helen. I have kept a copy of The Rough guide to NZ next to the computer for the last year, and it has proved invaluable.
    It does not give much on the immigration process, if anything. But as far as researching the various regions and facilitys goes, it is superb. As recommended by Bill Bryson.
    ISBN; 1-85828-896-7 The penguin group. Every half decent bookshop will have it.

Well I'm a sucker for a book so here is a quick overview / review of the ones I have read. I have almost every travel guide for New Zealand and they are not really much good for emigration purposes other than to see where the tourist spots are, which may or may not sway you when looking for ideas of where to go.

Where to live in Auckland is truly excellent - only of course if you are considering going to Auckland. :

Paul Goddard's "Get a New Life" is far too wishy washy and really gives no insight into the trials of emigration. It is sponsored by the New Zealand Tourist Board and the endless advertising / and references to the people he had to help him, such as the Relocation Company, BBC, Shippers and his franchise business are very tiresome. It has absolutely no content and you can read it from cover to cover in about 3 hours.

"Living & Working in New Zealand" is pretty good for for basic stuff and good for a start as long as you get an up to date version. My one was based on the old points system before EOI was introduced.

"Kiwis might fly" is a good light hearted read for a girly.

Even, the AA Road Map is pretty useful for reference purposes and looking up where places are.

Best of all though, better than any book, as we all know is the priceless (all for free) first hand experiences of the folks on websites like these.

PS. We are having bets on the fact that at least one person we know, be they friends or family will follow in our footsteps. Odd isn't it? The amount of people who say, "Oooh, I'm so jealous, I'd love to do that." No disrespect but it's sad that they don't have the imagination or dreams of their own.

Lil - you are so right - have tried to tell people this isn't a "me too" decision for them and they really really have to WANT to move to NZ (or anywhere far from home really).

Thanks for all your suggestions - from my parents point of view they don't really "do" forums - I guess those on forums are already pretty sure they want to move (am I wrong?) and therefore are at a more advanced stage than those simply seeking some basic info - another comment my brother made was "how do I trust forums, they aren't experts!!" hmmmm

Does experience make you an expert? :? I don't think so necessarily but I sure learned most of what I know today by participating in one

Moorf. I think you should tell that bro of your`s that you are officially a GURU.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast