Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why are clothes so expensive in nz?

Question why are clothes so expensive in nz?

i am just wondering why clothes are so expensive in new zealand? does anyone know? In south africa we have restrictions on the importation of clothes from the far east as it is killing our local manufacturing market, is that the case in nz?

Good quality clothing is expensive.However you don't need much of it.Shorts,jandals and a shirt are de-rigeur for most of the summer and folks don't really 'dress up' quite so much here.We often feel overdressed whe we arrive at a 'do',and you'll find plenty of gum boots at a funeral.This reminds me of a little quandry I'm in at the moment.I've been invited to the Christmas Party at the local dump,live band,bring a plate,etc and I just can't think what to wear.Overalls and gum boots.Shorts and gum boots.mmm.decisions,decisions.

It's true - people don't dress up as much over here. However, we still neeed clothes, whether they be casual or smart, and yes, they are expensive over here for the quality.

Don't know why this is - but I'm sure somebody will come up with some market related, economic explanation.

By the way - not only are clothes poor quality and expensive (generally) - but the choice !!!!!!!!! Very poor.

Diny

How about tailors? Does anybody know of a good place in Auckland for having shirts made? (women's)

This obviously depends on where you're coming from & where you're shopping in NZ (which shops), I find that most of the clothes I buy are quite reasonably priced (way cheaper than I used to pay in the UK! i.e. one thenth of the price!) - or I invest in things like Icebreaker/Mountain Design clothes that will last years and can be machine washed again & again & again, for something special there's a great designer that recycles saris & scarves & makes them into tops - not cheap for NZ prices but compared with what I would have paid for something in UK an absolute snip.

Because we don't have a large manufacturing base here for clothing (and its getting smaller due to asian manufacturers being able to do it cheaply) we import most clothes. Unfortunately there don't appear to be any restrictions, in fact we're negotiating a free-trade deal with China at the moment:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchin...ent_730402.htm

so expect us to have more 'Made in China' stuff in the shops soon if that's possible!!

Very true what everyone else says about the way we dress down here - I have some beautiful suits & dresses that I brought from Europe that will never see the light of day again!! My husband went to work on his first day and in London he would have worn a 2/3 piece suit, tie, shirt with cufflinks - he turned up suited & booted & the other lads were in jeans, workboots & polo shirts (one guy had shorts & t-shirt on) - he earned himself the nickname 'the suit' and now, 2 years on, he still gets called it!!

I wear t-shirts, jeans or boarding trousers/shorts all year round (can't wear skirts in Welly when its a windy day!!) - I wore some of my old outfits to our local restaurant which I would consider 'posh' for NZ & I got looks & just felt out of place for being so smart, so now I just go in jeans & a nice top with my jandals on! My sister-in-law who lives in Melbourne always reminds me when we're going over there 'you need to bring proper shoes, you won't get let in to places in thongs & jeans here!!' She's pretty horrified whenever she comes over & we go to the restaurant in shorts, t-shirts & jandals & insists on dressing up to the nines!!

To be honest, you do get used to dressing down horrifying as it may sound at first!

I agree with SarahW, I have found that depending where you buy them from they are either cheaper or same as UK, I bought a skirt from a boutique in town, and didnt realise till I went to wash it that it was a wool skirt - $30, it holds its shape and looks good after a day at work.

Kat

Can any of the Americans (or people who have lived in America at some point) compare the dress codes? I know that in America you can get away with a lot of sloppy dressing that in England would get you lots of looks. But is NZ comparable to say, the US west coast? The east coast of the the US (especially northeast, like Boston) has more strict dress requirements than the west coast. But is NZ somewhere even beyond that? In Hawaii, men wear Aloha shirts and khaki pants and this is really very dressed up.
    I'm still thinking that many jobs in NZ require suits- some of the downtown Welly for example? Or would khaki pants be enough for most days even at a multinational big company? Does anyone wear khaki or is it all black black and more black?

Have a look at www.ezibuy.co.nz there are some lovely but not too expensive clothes. Some of the clothes I've bought from them have washed and washed and still look new.

I suppose with a population of just over 4 million there isn't the demand for high quality clothes when a lot of people dress down most of the time. It's the same with petite sizes, not found a shop yet that caters for short people

I think you can get reasonable quality clothes here for a great price. I've bought merino wool jumpers in Glassons, for instance, for only about $20. They last and last - get thrown in the washing machine and come out looking like new. And they are great for layering and keeping warm in winter and cool on days like today!
    Auckland is possibly a bit different to the rest of NZ, in that people do dress up to go out, especially at weekends. But, Hamilton is worse - I was turned away from a bar because I was wearing trainers (nice ones, not ones for exercising). Obviously they expect girls in the Waikato to go to the rugby in all their finery...

Some good points ... but what you need to remember .... I find clothes expensive over here as I'm a dedicated Primark girl. Taking pride in the fact that I can dress from top to toe (undies included) for a tenner !!!

Warehouse are ok-ish - but not a patch on the quality/value of Primark!!!!

Diny - cheap and cheerful !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast