Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Companies

Default Power Companies

Someday we will be using solar, but right now I just want to switch from Meridian. Their customer service is appalling.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the following power companies or have others they could recommend?

Genesis Energy
    Contact Energy
    TrustPower Ltd

There is a website called Power Switch that is helpful but doesn't have company reputations. http://www.consumer.org.nz/powerswitch/default.asp

Thanks!

Genesis so far have been good for us, they have just changed our package because its going to be cheaper for us, and they read the meter every other month.

Have only had to phone them with a prob once, and it was sorted out straight away.

looking to change from meridian too, they've put their prices up and I am using $200 mth

Kat

oh well, Meridian is the cheapest at the minute. so I guess I will have to stop putting the electric radiators on!....out come the jerseys!

Kat

The company with the best customer service is Mercury, without a shadow of doubt. They are consistently the winners of the TUANZ best call centre award for power companies (last three years in a row).
    Genesis are cheaper, but their customer services are not as great - and they only meter read every other month, meaning you get an estimated bill in between.

I work for a power co at the moment, and the pricing strategies they employ are quite eye opening...

Just so I understand correctly...you have a choice of power companies in NZ? Is this true of all/most regions?
    Ana

We've been with Genesis since we arrived. No complaints at all.

They make moving house easy. No probs with call centre staff who have been helpful and polite etc. I don't mind the estimated bill month as I pay a direct debit of a certain amount all year anyway.

After reading the consumer.org reports, I did try to change to Trust Power as they were cheaper but the call centre woman was so bored, to the point of rudeness, I gave up. They also wanted a $250 bond and weren't prepared to waive it.

This might help though http://www.consumer.org.nz/powerswitch/

We're with Genesis - have been for a couple of years & they've been nothing but very good. Customer service was much better than when I phoned Meridian - shame because Meridian have the green energy & Genesis don't. Meridian also wanted a bond & Genesis didn't...

For some of us meter reading every other month is a lot... where we lived in the UK it was every 3-6 months & very random.

I believe you have the choice wherever you are in NZ of power co. providing you're connected to the grid.

Power companies request a bond from those customers who don't fit their retail profile. For example, no-one wants the low-value frequent movers, as these customers essentially cost the company, rather than make a profit.
    So, to discourage the high-churn, low-value consumers, the power companies introduce bonds in the hope that you'll get your power from a competitor.
    Genesis are happy to take all the low value retail sector and boost their profits by having the largest customer base. Trustpower are interested in the industrial sector, which obviously creates far higher profits, which is probably why they requested a bond.

We have used genesis in the past with no probs, and now use Empower. They are slightly cheaper for us. Neither have been bad as far as customer service goes, though I have to say empower have an annoying habit of teeling us we will be charged for callouts if it turns out that the latest (frequent) power cut is our fault and not thiers. So far - 10 cuts - not one of them because we blew a fuse!

Other than that - no worries.

Montana - what sort of problems are you getting? Just curious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast