Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diary of Laser Eye Surgery

Default Diary of Laser Eye Surgery

I know this has been covered in another thread, but I am about to have surgery on my eyes so I though I would keep a bit of a diary, just in case it was of interest.

There are two laser surgeries in Christchurch - One in Fendalton and the one I have chosen which is on papanui road. On investigation they seem to be equally good and at the end of the day it came down to price. The clinic in Fendalton offers the relatively new "bladeless" surgery and came in at about $1500 more. Laservision have the Allegretto Wavelight machine and the blurb reads:- "Laservision's Allegretto Wavelight machine is the only one of its kind in the country and one of the first three in Australasia."

Cost at Laservision is $4500 for both eyes. This includes the "free" pre-assessment, pre-operative evaluation, surgery, follow-up care and "enhancement" surgery if required.

I had the pre-assessment on Weds and was quite happy with the information given. My nurse was very clear in her explantation of the surgery and in explaining all the tests and results that she had taken. I didn't really need to ask any questions as she covered it all already. So,

I have to stop wearing my contact lenses on the 30th November for the two weeks prior to my surgery. This is because contact lenses squash the eye shape slightly, and the surgeon will need to take precise measurements in the pre-op evaluation. At this stage he can still decide that I am not a candidate and cancel the surgery, if he is happy with everything my surgery is sheduled for the next day. Because I have only just started a new job and didn't want to take too much time off they have booked my pre-op for 5.10pm and my surgery the next day for 6.30pm. I have been given a pack to take home and read which covers pretty much what I was told, and explanations of all the terminology regarding the surgery.

So, thats all for now, will keep posting.

Thats a thoughtful thing to do, thank you.

I'll be following this with interest, good luck and will look forward to hearing your experience.

D x

I will watch this with interest too .

I'm too short sighted to have it {if I was brave enough}.

Good luck and keep us informed .

Marie x

I will watch this with interest too
    It's something the OH and myself have often thought about having done but I'm a scaredy-cat when it comes to anything to do with eyes. Also, I don't think I'm short sighted enough in one of my eyes so would probably still end up wearing glasses - so it would be pointless. OH just never seems to have the time to get it done.

This is a description of my surgery I posted a while ago.... I still say it was one of the most liberating experiences of my life. I am a scaredy cat but it was well worth it and I recommend it to anyone.

I will be very interested to read your account wilson182. What method are you having?

Well, I had mine done at Ultralase in Cardiff and paid £3000 for both eyes (£1500 each and on interest free credit!). You can get the treatment from about £495 per eye. The treatment I had cost more because you have each eye mapped and the surgery is geared to the contours of individual eyes. This means that the side effects are less and the results better. (Not by that much I'm sure!)

You are awake for the procedure and it takes about half an hour. Although it made me feel uncomfortable, knowing what they were doing to me, there was no pain at all during the procedure. You are very light sensitive going home - you can't drive and need sunglasses. I even had to keep my eyes shut all the way home!

Once home I had to have the curtains drawn and no lights on for a couple of days - no good for the rest of the family!

Now I have to say that the pain for the first few days was quite bad. BUT this was due to the method they used on my eyes. There are 2 ways of performing the op. 1. they cut a round flap in the eye with a laser and then do the work or 2. they scrape away the top of the eye and then do it. The man doing mine preferred this method as he felt that this left less risk of infection afterwards. This method is more painful afterwards but more comfortable during. People who have the flap cut are up and around and in no pain a day or so later.

I was told that there are no problems in the future and my eyes should be fine for the rest of my life (as in the problems they corrected) I could still have to wear reading glasses as I get older in the same way most people do. I had very bad eyesight and I wore contacts all day everyday. This was starting to cause problems for me. As I said before, as life changing things go this is at the very top of my list - just in front of having my 2 boys!

Hi Guys

Nicola, Im having the Lasik done, so it will be an interesting comparison. The difference with lasik is that a tiny flap is cut into the cornea and the laser works on whats underneath. This is the part that I would be most squemish about, but I am told that when the little suction machine is on the eye the vision fades so you don't actually see anything Another difference is the healing time supposedly, but I will let you know about that one.

are you all short sighted?
    I'm long and my eyes are getting worse since arriving here???
    can't read small stuff on moisturiser/makeup/pill bottles (might be a problem when I mix up the hemoroid cream for wrinkle cream ??? JOKE I dont have any Hemoroid cream in the house hONEST!
    I am having to wear my glasses more now, and have thought about doing the op route - but my old boss in the UK put me off saying How many Opticians do you see wearing glasses??? I said Lots - he said correct - they arn't doing it to their own eyes, as they have no idea what it does to their eyes...SO I will read (with my specs) how you all get on!

Kat

Quote Originally Posted by wilson182
    Hi Guys

Another difference is the healing time supposedly, but I will let you know about that one.
    I work with a man who had the one you are planning and the healing time is a lot faster. He was driving the next day!

Quote Originally Posted by katandbob
    are you all short sighted?
    I'm long and my eyes are getting worse since arriving here???
    I'm short sighted and my sight has deteriorated since moving here. It could just be ageing (!) but I think it is primarily due to the light. I HAVE to wear sunglasses when I'm outside as otherwise I screw my eyes up and squint continuously.
    I'm seriously thinking about the eye surgery - I have money ear-marked, I'm just a chicken! I contacted a clinic in Auckland and got all the info, I just haven't got as far as actually going and booking in to have the procedure done yet.

Kerry do it. I took a year to get the courage to do it and what a wasted year that was. It really, really changed my life. Seriously don't hesitate. It actually isn't that bad and it doesn't hurt at all at the time of having it done and after if you are lucky it will be fine to. I was in pain after but knowing what I know now I would go through it again with out the slightest hesitation.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast